Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Weight Loss by Month: August 2021

August 2021 Weight Loss: -4

Here's my weight over the last four months: 

May: 186
June: 183
July: 179
August: 183

My streak of good months is over. But I'm still counting this as a win. 

Since my last check-in, I took two long vacations to Chicago and Asheville, plus a huge steak dinner with Mark in St. Louis and a big 10th birthday celebration for my oldest son. After the Asheville trip I was as high as 188 and right before the birthday weekend I was down to 181. 

So why is this a win again? If I hadn't turned healthy eating into a consistent habit, a month with this many occasions to overeat would just have been a month where I gain 10 pounds. 

Also, by having this monthly structure set up I can track it, be accountable, and aim to course correct. In previous instances, I didn't have any check-ins scheduled so one bad month just spiraled into 6+ months of overeating. So the act of recording a modest weight gain, and not ignoring it, is a serious win.

I also set a personal record for the most I've ever walked in a month. 



My previous monthly record was 205k steps back in October 2017. So I've really blown it out of the water. The trip to Asheville helped. I've played disc golf three times and walked during my kid's soccer practices. But mostly I've just been consistent with walking our dog. 117 miles in a month. That's nuts. 

As an aside, most of these steps have been in my favorite shoes ever, Adidas Lite Racer Adapt 3. I discovered Adidas cloudfoam makes the most comfortable shoe around, and now that I've tried these laceless versions of cloudfoam, I'm never going back. And when you factor in that the best player in the NFL is an Adidas spokesman, I'm going to be brand loyal to Adidas for the foreseeable future. 

- - -

With a September without any special occasions planned, I'm confident I can get back into the 170s. 

2 comments:

  1. In hindsight (pun intended), maybe we shouldn't have had that steak dinner. Also, that's a ridiculous amount of steps. I take the dog for 3 walks a day, not a long one before going to sleep, am on my feet at least half the time at work, and my highest month is about 230,000 steps.

    Worried about football season coming up? Any extra snacking? Less healthy food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not worried about football season. Buffalo chicken is a winner.

    Vacations, holidays and birthdays will slow down progress for sure.

    ReplyDelete