Sunday, December 18, 2005

Fantasy Playoffs

In my first fantasy draft league, I had outperformed all expectations. After a 14-week regular season, I won my division and scored the most points in the league with 1444. After stumbling to 4-4, I needed to win out to make the playoffs. I did just that riding a 6-game winning streak to enter the playoffs. Also, it should be noted that I did land the first overall pick (Tomlinson) but traded for studs Manning and Larry Johnson. I also picked up Thomas Jones to complete my lineup with Larry Fitzgerald and Crumpler.

In the first round of the final four playoffs, I was favored by 12, with a projected score of 99-87. The #2 scoring team was also heavily favored, possibly setting up a fantastic finish to my first fantasy league.

Scranton (9-5) vs. Hoagies (10-4)

Larry Johnson was huge with 29, but LT got shut down by the Colts. He finished with 7 points. Manning only scored 15, losing 4 points on 2 INT. Going into the Sunday night game, I was down 72-87, with Crumpler and Falcons D remaining. Scranton had finished as expected with 87.

The Bears D shut down Crumpler limiting him to 1 point. And the surprise return of Grossman cut the Falcons D scoring to 11.

Final Score: Scranton 87, Hoagies 84

If I had really been paying attention, I should have started the Jaguars D against the woeful 49ers. They actually scored 14 and would have tied the game. Or if Manning hadn't thrown 2 picks, or if instead of my Seattle kicker getting 4XP, he could have gotten 2 FG. But ultimately the ultra dependable possible MVP of the NFL, LT scored 7. 8 less than Thomas Jones rotting on my bench. But how could I have benched my #1 pick? At the end of the day, I had a good run, built a strong team, and it just didn't turn out the way I would have liked. But I had fun along the way. Until next year...

3 comments:

  1. I was the second seed in my league, tied for the best record, but scored two fewer points overall to take the second seed. blessing in disguise as the third division winner had a much worse record and team than the wild card. this met my expectations because i think over half the league never changed their lineup even after guys were out for the season. (kind of takes away from the spirit of competition, but i was winning, so who cares.)

    I was also favored by double-digits heading into the playoffs. i benched brady in favor of david garrard (facing the 49ers vs. facing the bucs in the snow with a bum leg). i also benched mcgahee in favor of a moats-gado combination.

    somehow, mcnair, lamont jordan, kaeding, and the dolphins defense all put up big numbers, plus antonio bryant's 8 offset the fact that domanick davis didn't even play. shockey and josh brown were disappointments for me. i wasn't too happy to see brady outscore garrard by 12 either. add all of this up and i need nigerian nightmare II to score 10 points to tie and 11 for the victory in tomorrow morning's game (damn time difference doesn't let me see any night games).

    tough loss.

    the winner of my game plays the front-runner most of the year by starting shawn alexander and hasselbeck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're calling it a tough loss already. That's weak. All Gado needs is 50 yards and a TD. Favre can still move tbe ball, and give it to Gado on the 1. Even Moats scored 13 for me. And the Ravens are not what they used to be. My guess is you are setting yourself up for failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i meant tough loss for you. samkon's come through for me the last few weeks and i believe he'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete