Thursday, May 17, 2007

Amazon Blows My Mind

On the morning of May 15th, I arrived at work and ordered something on Amazon. It was elgible for the Free Super Saver Shipping that typically takes about a week and a half to arrive, from the order date. But it's free, and I'm usually not in a hurry.

So I order it, and it in the automatic email, it says:
Shipping Estimate: May 21
Arrival Estimate: May 29-June 4

Okay, fine, whatever.

Less than 3 hours after I ordered it, still on May 15th, I get another email. It's a notice that the product has shipped! And it's updated the arrival estimate to May 21.

Wow, cool.

Then May 16th rolls around. I check the tracking number just for fun, and it says that it's out for delivery! And sure enough, when I get home, there it is. 1-day shipping for free. A full 13-19 days ahead of their original estimate. Well played.

1 comment:

  1. Their estimates are almost always ridiculously high, probably to avoid complaints of taking too long. From what I've seen, processing the order can take anywhere from 1 to 6 days, but then shipping after that is really fast. Once it's shipped it's only a couple of days or so.

    I hate when it's sitting in processing forever and there's no update. When it's something like a dvd, I'm just thinking "Just grab it off the shelf and send it already...you said it's in stock!"

    ReplyDelete