Monday, September 07, 2009

the best shoes in the world

Funny backstory: about 15 years ago, one of my parent's friends gave me a pair of running shoes. They were New Balances. They had a giant N on the side. I had never heard of New Balances. I didn't like the way they looked. I thought they were generic Nikes. I don't think I ever seriously gave them a chance.

- - -

I am brand loyal to New Balance running shoes. For a long time I would buy whatever shoes I thought looked cool. I've worn Nike, Reebok, Converse, Vans, Airwalks. Generally speaking, they all wore out in less than a year. Usually by about 6 months in, they already look pretty shabby, I and I try and stretch the usage a bit longer. Some shoes just a month or two of use and and parts start flapping and falling apart.

I bought these shoes at the Finish Line at the Woodfield Mall.


8505 NBzip. I bought them after they were recommended to me as "the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn." I got them on sale for 39.99. I timed it right at Finish Line because they were just getting in new fall shoes, and these were priced to move.

So yes, they were amazingly comfortable. But the biggest reason why I'm in love with New Balance shoes is the durability. I bought these late summer, 2007. Over two years old and they are in great condition. The only thing worn out about them? The bottom of the sole. I've worn these almost every day for two years, walking to work, traveling, etc. And the shoe itself is lasting longer than the rubber sole. (A pair of casual Skechers I bought after these got worn out with almost no usage.)

So they're 39.99, amazingly comfortable, and last longer than you could reasonably expect.

Today I bought a replacement pair from Sports Authority. NB409 (full model#: MR409SR)


They were on sale for 39.99. They're amazingly comfortable. And this pair was even made in the USA. (The previous pair was made in China.) So that's a bonus. Unless the American workmanship doesn't last as long, that would be a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment