Monday, September 07, 2009

how to: cook sweet corn on the cob in the microwave

I love sweet corn. It's about the only vegetable that I get excited about. Except for a potato, which I don't think counts, due to the fact that we slice them and fry them to the point of super deliciousness.

I especially love getting sweet corn at the Farmer's Market. It's fresh and awesome. But how to cook it? This was a tip passed to me by a co-worker and it makes it super easy.

Just take an ear of corn, wrap it in a paper towel, then run your hands under the faucet and wet the paper towel all the way around.

Then put it in the microwave: 3 minutes for a small ear, 4 minutes for a larger one.

It comes out and the paper towel has kept steam right on the ear, so it's juicy and hot. I use some no-calorie butter spray and then add salt and pepper and I'm good to go.

1 comment:

  1. When I was little we used to make corn in the microwave by wrapping it in saran wrap, which sealed in all the moisture. Same idea, but it should hold in even more moisture. And the saran wrap doesn't melt (though you can keep some of the husk on until it's done...again holding in more moisture)

    Nowadays I don't do this anymore because I stopped liking corn!

    ReplyDelete