Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Kansas City BBQ Recap: Part Three

If you go to yelp.com, the consensus top 5 in Kansas City barbecue is, in some order:

Arthur Bryant's
Gates
LC's
Oklahoma Joe's
Fiorella's Jack Stack

Well, I had been to 3 of the 5 before, this trip would complete the list.

Wednesday, 3pm: Arthur Bryant's


I had meant to go to Arthur Bryant's last time, but it didn't work out. It's the most famous name for Kansas City, but I was somewhat doubtful because I had heard they used a vinegar-based sauce.

The reviews for AB's mentioned that you had to get the brisket. Okay. It's a cafeteria style line and I ordered the 2-meat combo: brisket and burnt ends. I didn't get any sides but Brit ordered the potato salad. Here's the plate:



There were three sauces on the table: original, rich & spicy, and sweet heat. The original and rich ones were quite similar. Both were serious sauces, not much sweetness, a lot of solid flavor and heat. My favorite was the original. Despite being "vinegar-based" it wasn't thin or sour or anything. This was not a Carolina runny sauce by any imagination. In fact it didn't taste that far away from Gates, and it's just delicious.

And how good do those burnt ends look in the picture above? Well, they didn't disappoint. But, as advertised, the beef brisket is AMAZING. The picture doesn't do it justice. Combined with the original sauce, this was SERIOUS beef. They didn't mess around. This is for people that like barbecue.

Beef Brisket: A+
Burnt Ends: A-

Overall: A+

Friday, 8pm: Oklahoma Joe's on 47th

I had been to the suburban Oklahoma Joe's before and had a pulled pork sandwich. It was perfectly fine. But I heard two things about Oklahoma Joe's: I needed to try the Z-man sandwich, and it's in a gas station.

Now what I pictured when I heard that, is that they took over a building that used to be a gas station. Not exactly. It is in fact, inside a working gas station. The dining room borders a rack of chips and candy bars and magazines and a gas station clerk.


I arrived there at 7:50 on a Friday night. Again it's cafeteria style, but the line is out the door. People in front of me said the line would only take 15 minutes. I finally got to order about 8:35 and sat down to eat 50 minutes after I entered. This had better be good. I ordered the specialty, the Z-Man sandwich and a bag of fries.

Here's what it looked like:


The Z-Man is brisket, topped with melted provolone and two onion rings. At this point I was starving. I bit into it and it tasted good. The cheese and the barbecue sauce, paired with the crunch of the onion ring, it was definitely a good sandwich. But here's the thing...it didn't really scream barbecue. While I enjoyed it, I later realized that this was the sandwich for people who don't like barbecue. This is the anti-Arthur Bryant's.

Also, it wasn't that big. The sandwich was 6.50, and there weren't any options for adding a side of ribs or anything like that. So after waiting in line for so long, I wasn't really full.

The fries were well seasoned and that portion was more than generous. Still, I can't knock the place too much. The sandwich WAS good. And I saw others with the $20 full slab of ribs that looked mighty fine.

Z-Man: A
Fries: A+
The wait and meat portion: C

Overall: A-


Saturday, 1pm: LC's


I don't mind if a place is a little divey. In fact, that's usually a good sign. However, it did make me wonder when I saw that one of the 5 or 6 tables in the dining area was being used as an office by LC's.

I heard that everything was good here, especially the burnt ends and beef. But the only way to try more than 1 meat, was to order the 16.99 mixed plate. So I opted for the 8.99 order of burnt ends, with a side of beans and thick-cut fries. I also got a large soda. The clerk didn't say anything or hand me a cup for the soda. Eventually I went up and grabbed one off the pile.


It tasted blurry too. Continuing the theme of shoddy service, the burnt ends were brought to me and they were chewy and somewhat bland. And get this: there was no barbecue sauce available! I looked at the menu, and it said a cup of sauce was 55 cents. Fuck you.

What kind of 'cue place has ketchup on the table and no barbecue sauce? Way to stand behind your product.

Aside from the lame burnt ends, the beans were probably the best I've ever had. Full of meat and goodness, I could have eaten those all day. The fries were pretty good, though not as seasoned as Joe's.

Burnt Ends: C+
Beans: A+
Fries: A-

Overall: B-


For The Record:
Arthur Bryant's, eat-in, Kansas City (4/21/10): A+
Gates, eat-in, Overland Park (2/13/09): A+
Jack Stack, carryout, Overland Park (10/6/07): A
Gates, stadium, Arrowhead (10/7/07): A
Oklahoma Joe's, eat-in, Overland Park (10/6/07): A-
Oklahoma Joe's, eat-in, Kansas City (4/23/10): A-
Corky's, eat-in, Memphis (5/24/08): A-
Carsons, eat-in, Chicago (2/7/09): A-
Jack Stack, carryout, Overland Park (2/13/09): A-
Smokehouse BBQ, eat-in, Overland Park (2/14/09): A-
Smoke Daddy, eat-in, Chicago (5/23/09): B+
Rum Boogie Cafe, eat-in, Memphis (5/25/08): B+
Neely's, eat-in, Memphis (5/25/08): B
LC's, eat-in, Kansas City (4/24/10): B-
Blues City Cafe, eat-in, Memphis (5/24/08): C

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of A-minuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. still no 17th street? isn't there one near taters' place in o-town?

    also, i like how you didn't get any sides, but it's okay because brittany got the potato salad. how fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've been to the 17th St in Murphysboro once and to the one in O'fallon once.

    I didn't think the O'fallon place was as good.

    I do remember loving the ribs from Mboro, and they'd likely be an A. But it was so long ago, it's hard to remember.

    ReplyDelete