Saturday, September 10, 2011

The best mexican food I've ever had

Looking for the best green chile in Denver, yelp led me to Santiago's. I ordered the enchilada dinner (1 chicken, 1 beef, 1 cheese) smothered in medium green chile. I ordered medium because yelp warned me that medium at Santiago's is already super hot.

The food was fine. The green chile was super hot, almost unnecessarily so, but at the same time there wasn't a lot of flavor from it, and there could have been more of it. Though as hot as it was, I couldn't really of handled anymore, if that makes sense. (I wish there had been more of a less burning my mouth green chile.) And surprisingly, the meats didn't taste that good--the cheese was my favorite of the three.

So I figured, if you want something done right...you have to do it yourself.

- - -

Last night my mom came into town, and I cooked for her some homemade mexican food, Denver style. I had a tub of the HOT pork-based Mark Schlereth's Stinkin' Good Green Chile. And after making myself a large soft taco with the green chile on the inside which was good, I thought I could take it up a notch. So this was my round two:


I started with a warmed flour tortilla and applied a foundation of sour cream. Then the meat was a mixture: half chorizo, half ground beef seasoned with chili powder, burger seasoning and Lowry's seasoned salt. Then I took a handful of shredded cheddar. Then, and this was key, I rolled it up and placed two bamboo skewers  through the overlap to keep it a tight roll, and then microwaved it for 20 seconds. Then I smothered it in my hot green chile, with plenty of chunks of pork sitting there, and microwaved it again for 20 seconds.

In one minute, I had the goodness of enchiladas, but done just the way I wanted. I really don't know how to brag this up any bigger than the title of the post. There was three different meats, the beef, chorizo, and the pork from the green chile. Melted cheddar. And the hotness of the green chile with the coolness of the sour cream. AMAZING. MORE PLEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment