Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bartender, give me a duel on ice.


In case you haven't heard, there is a feud between Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick, 2 US speedskaters. Chad wanted Shani to race in the team relay, and Shani declined. Chad thought Shani was selfish, and a feud is born.

First off, this Olympics is the first time the relay is an option. Shani has been training for a long time to be a solo speedskater and this is his prime for the Olympics. It's nice for him to be asked to be a part of the relay, but he doesn't have an obligation to perform in this brand new event.

Also, shouldn't there be a couch who is deciding who is racing in the relay? Shouldn't this have been decided weeks or months ago? You wouldn't ask Tiger Woods the week that he is playing in a tournament, to ask him to join the Ryder Cup also going on that week. And then call him selfish for not joining the team.

Also, the media is dying for anything that is interesting about these Olympics, and furthermore I don't think this would be that big of a story if both skaters were white. Shani did end up winning gold in the event that he was focusing on, so you can't fault someone for doing what they set out to do.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, talk about manufactured drama...wah, wah:

    Back to the speed skating feud-- Davis did reveal he was upset Hedrick didn't shake his hand after he won gold in the 1000 meter. Hedrick said he felt betrayed Davis dropped out of the team pursuit, which the Americans eventually lost in the quarterfinal.

    From here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite the source -
    ksl.com - Utah's Source for Local News & Information

    They are definetly my go to guys when I want trusted news.

    Also, I think that it's stupid that I should have to word verify comments I submit on my own site. And I wish that I wouldn't get an email notification about my own comments. I wish google was smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently this Shani guy is a real jackass, but he won't be painted as the bad guy because he's the first black to win an individual gold. I think I heard he's an a-hole on ESPN radio (whoever is the fact-checker). Maybe not as reliable at ksl.com, but still ok when it comes to sports.

    Can we get an article on hockey?

    ReplyDelete