Thursday, February 16, 2006

G.O.A.T.


There have been many goats in the history of basketball. But there was and will only be one G.O.A.T. Except I was too young and naive to really appreciate him. Sure when the Bulls played the Timberwolves in a exhibition in Kansas City, I was there with my homeade poster for 23. I was with him for the first run, loved the play against the Lakers where he swiched the ball to his left hand, and wanted him to beat the Suns in 93. But then for the second part of his dynasty, I didn't know enough to appreciate what was going on. I thought he was selfish and eventually I found myself rooting strongly for Utah to pull it out in 97 and 98.

But now that I've grown up and trying to rectify the errors of my ways, I'm looking forward to watching his 5 greatest games on dvd. It will be interesting to take a trip back before my time, and see the announcers, and graphics transform through the 80's to the 90's. But mainly I want to see what I missed out on:

According to the dvd, his 5 Greatest Games (in chronological order):

(1) 1986 1st round, Game 2 playoffs versus the Boston Celtics where he scored 63 points
(2) 1990 game versus the Cleveland Cavaliers where he topped his previous career high total with 69 points
(3) 1993 Finals Game 4 where he dropped 55 on the Charles Barkley-led Phoenix Suns
(4) 1997 Finals Game 5 against the Utah Jazz during which he suffered from the flu
(5) 1998 Finals Game 6 versus the Jazz that was his last game as a Bull

And since everyone knows he's the Greatest Of All Time, can we please stop looking for the next one? There won't be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment