Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Blockbuster Online vs Netflix: Update #2


Just as I was ready to commit to Netflix, they had 2 rentals in a row that shipped in 2 days -- even though both times they sent me an email that both would ship in 1 day.

So on Thursday I decided to cancel Netflix before they started billing me. They sent me an email that said that 24: Season Two would be arriving on Friday. So I was excited to watch 4 episodes of 24 over the weekend. Even though they had failed me the 2 previous times on shipping, I semi-believed them. But when it didn't show up on Friday, I understood. I was glad I cancelled Netflix, but I understood.

But when it didn't show up on Saturday, that's when I really was happy I switched to Blockbuster. Not only is 24 the perfect disc to have over the weekend, because it has 4 episodes, but since mail isn't delivered on Sunday, it didn't arrive until Monday.

They shipped it Thursday and didn't arrive until Monday. The best part: One of the new Blockbuster movies that shipped on Saturday arrived on Monday.

UPDATE: Blockbuster has changed from 2 in-store coupons per month, to 1 coupon a week. Also Blockbuster is shipping their movies with more 1-day shipments that Netflix was. And always 1-day returns. The only thing that hasn't been perfect, is not shipping the movie at the top of the Q when it says "available", but as long as you have other movies you want it's not a problem. (Plus, if you have your heart set on something like 24, you can just use a coupon every week.) I couldn't be happier with my decision to get Blockbuster instead of Netflix.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if this is specific to your location and mailing times, or is true in general. Perhaps I will have to conduct a test as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just want the free movies. and dave, i'm glad to hear (read) that you're watching the second "day"

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed. free movies are cool. i need to get in on this free action.

    also agreed. second "day" ... nice.

    ReplyDelete