Thursday, June 14, 2007

Softball 2007: Game Four Preview

Even though the playoffs start in week 15, there are only 9 regular season softball games. (Rain outs, and all-star break make up the off weeks.) So even though it feels like we just started, going into Game 4 with a 2-1 record, this is a crucial game.

The team we play tonight is the only undefeated team in the division. Last week, they beat the team that gave us our only loss (so now that team is 2-1 as well). So if we win tonight, there could be at least three teams sitting at 3-1.

Game 5 is against our main rival, who might also at 2-1 right now. If we go into that game at 2-2, our season could well be on the line. We're at a winning record right now, but could easily be either 2-3 or 4-1 in two weeks.

As for our chances tonight, we're playing the team that beat us in the first round of the playoffs last year. It was a game that I pitched, and was very close. I think we're a better team this year, but who knows, their team might have changed as well.

If I get to pitch the whole game, I feel like it's on my shoulders. That if I can keep them to 3 runs or less, we have a great shot of winning. But no matter how solid the defense is, it's not that hard to string together some line drives and get a rally going.

We're going to need to bat a lot better than we did last week.

My brain says that they're probably the better team, but my gut says that I've pitched 4 straight shutout innings and if we can make it a close game.

3 comments:

  1. i haven't seen your games, but is pitching really that important in slow-pitch advertising softball?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair question.

    Short answer yes.

    The 2 most important things are:

    1. Not giving up walks.
    2. Being a solid fielder.

    The first can be a killer, especially with the rule where if you walk a guy with a girl behind him, both people get on base. Free baserunners lead to rallies, plain and simple.

    The second involves making catches, good decisions on what base to throw to, and handling everything cleanly.


    So not only am I putting out people on the basepaths, but I'm not walking anyone, when other pitchers walk multiple batters a game, but I also think I don't give people easy pitches to hit. If I get a first strike, I'll try and make people chase pitches, try and get them to strike out on fouls, whatever.

    I'm not saying I can prevent every run, but look at the past two games where we had shared pitching duty:

    I gave up 2 runs in 6 innings.
    My teammates gave up 13 runs in 8 innings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who lets people pitch if they can't throw strikes?

    and

    Isn't it demeaning to women if they get automatically walked? I feel like if I were one of these women, I would want to hit. Otherwise, why am I playing?

    Last, your numbers don't like. Your pitching helps, but it seems to me like it shouldn't matter THAT much.

    ReplyDelete