Thursday, September 04, 2008

Extra Games

So there's talk of shortening the NFL preseason and lengthening the regular season. I don't really care if they cut the preseason games, I'd be fine with 2. But I think it would be a big mistake to change the regular season.

My primary reason is something people might think is stupid, but I think it's extremely important: records. For 30 years, since the start of the '78 season, they've played 16 games. If someone breaks Eric Dickerson's record with an extra game or two, that stinks.

It's already annoying when you have to compare records from pre-78 like OJ or the 17-0 Dolphins.

Anyways, it playing an extra game of football really doesn't do anything for you. The players get paid more, but it doesn't improve things. I say keep the NFL 16 games, keep the NCAA bracket at 64/65, and enjoy the games.

1 comment:

  1. agreed on all counts. but the NFL wants to make as much money as they can, so they're not going to give up the revenue by just cutting 2 preseason games

    ReplyDelete