Tuesday, October 13, 2009

go for 2? OR on positivity

Should the Chiefs have gone for 2?

The situation: 20 seconds left in the game. Bowe just caught a 4th down TD to make the score 19-20. This was the Chiefs best drive of the game, 74 yards for the score. They're at home with the crowd in the game.

Kick for overtime or go for 2?

- - -

I was watching the entire game in a sports bar. At the time, my reaction was: I don't know what to do.

When it came down to awarding the 2016 Olympics, the city of Chicago was split on whether people wanted it to come here. Myself, I had an opinion. I wanted them to come, because I think it's good to represent. I think it's good for the country, I think it's good for Chicago.

But even before the announcement, I recognized the downsides--the traffic, the construction inconvenience, the economic impact--and was prepared to instantly be satisfied with whatever decision was made. Ever since Rio won it, I'm happy for Rio and happy that I don't have to worry about the inconvenience if I'm still in Chicagoland in 2016.

So, should the Chiefs have gone for two? I don't think it mattered. I don't think the Chiefs would have converted. We couldn't run the ball (21 carries for 37 yards is pitiful) and you'd think they would be ready for a Vrabel-like playaction the second time around. I wasn't upset about kicking the extra point because I wasn't confident that we'd make it. But at the same time I wasn't confident we'd score in OT.

Although, I thought they would probably win the toss and score with our offense on the bench. That's probably the biggest deciding factor of why you should go for it.

But that didn't happen. We got the ball, punted pinning them deep. Got the ball back this time at midfield. We needed 20 yards to kick a field goal and couldn't get it.

But when you think about that scenario, get 2-yards for the win in regulation vs get 20 yards for a 50-yard field goal in OT...the first one seems a smidge easier, eh?

- - -

I'm sure TMQ made a similar point today, but I swore to never click on one of his articles after he argued that The Dark Knight is not a good movie.

So yeah, I loved it in 2005 when Vermeil went for the win instead kicking a field goal, down by 3 in a similar situation. And I think it's an easier path to victory. But I can't dump on a coach for wanting to extend the game with the momentum at home.

- - -

Epilogue

Though the point could be made that choosing to go to overtime is a call that puts the blame off the coach's shoulders. When they lost in overtime it was because we have a crappy defense that lets America's #1 College Town get 250 receiving yards. If we would have lost in regulation it would have been because our coach make a blunder.

1 comment:

  1. the 2 yards vs. 20 yards isn't the full argument. it's getting 2 yards in one play versus get 20 yards in multiple plays. and if you don't get the 20 yards, you don't automatically lose. you just need your defense to hold. it's not like the cowboys looked like super bowl contenders anyway. your CB missed a tackle and the college town ran 60 yards.

    don't worry. you're still 1 game back in the burger bet and only 2 back in fantasy.

    ReplyDelete