Wednesday, December 16, 2009

BS SB I: Media Day #1


Ah, Media Day. Where the hard-hitting press ask the tough questions. First up...Stevo.

Interview with Team Like A Boss

1. What was your draft day strategy?

I spent a lot of time researching the draft, mostly on espn.com because I have never done Fantasy before. I watch a lot of football, but I was far from an expert going into the draft. Looking back, I made a lot of poor picks. I guess I put too much stock in espn's draft order suggestions. I had the third pick in the draft, and I took Forte first(who has been a total dud). Espn seemed to push the idea of going RB, RB, WR, WR. So, I followed Forte with Brandon Jacobs (another dud), Roddy White and Wes Welker. Welker has been my most consistent player (since he came back from his injury) and I traded Jacobs and White. Tony Romo has been my best player as far as points but other than that, my draft was pretty poor. When I list my top five players, I only drafted two of them. I traded for Ricky Williams and I picked Sidney Rice and Vernon Davis up off Free Agency. I am in the Super Bowl thanks to my 15 acquisitions and 2 trades, not the draft.

2. Any mistakes or regrets this season?

I regret buying into the idea that the Chicago Bears were going to be good this year. They had a lot of potential, but having 4 Bears on my roster was a mistake (and starting them was a bigger mistake). I waited too long to stop starting Cutler, Forte, Knox and Hester. I should have recognized earlier that those players were not getting me anywhere. After week 7, I was 2-5 and in last place. It was at that point I traded for Ricky Williams, picked up Davis, Rice and Laurence Moroney and turned my team around. I made mistakes along the way, but I think I learned a lot and have won four in a row (and 6 of my last 7) going into the Super Bowl.

3. Any smack you want to talk about your chances of winning it all?

One thing I read, which I think applies to my team is: You dont have to be flashy to win. I dont have any superstar receivers or really explosive backs, but my team is very consistent. I have an excellent TE who leads the league in TDs, Welker is leading the league in receptions and Romo and Williams are both top ten at their position. Obviously Mark's team is amazing. He scored over 200 points last week, and that is intimidating. However, I still think my team can pull off an upset. I want that trophy!! All the haters out there, remember the old phrase, "Any Given Sunday". And Thursday, and Saturday and Monday! It's a crazy week in the NFL!!

4. If you don't win the SB, will this season be a failure?

If I dont win the Super Bowl this year has not been a failure. Not by a long shot. I never expected to be here in my first year, and its been a very exciting season. I really loved it and I cant wait for next year!

5. Anything else you want to get off your chest?

As you all know, I was very disappointed that two people chose to veto my trade with Adam. But I've beat that issue to death, any you are all sick of hearing about it, so I'll just let the numbers do the talking for me. Other than that, its been a lot of fun and I appreciate you all letting me join your league.

No comments:

Post a Comment