Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hypothetical Bowl

Seeding for the playoffs came down to tiebreakers. I was that close to grabbing the #4 spot and facing Mac in the playoffs.

For the record:

Construda Super Bowl I, 2007: lost in Super Bowl
Construda Super Bowl II, 2008: missed playoffs by 1 game, would have lost in Super Bowl

Here's how my team would have fared:

Week 14 lineup:
brady 11
charles 28.5
jacobs 10.5
boldin 4.582.5
andre 38.5
meachem 7
scaife 6
packers d 12
tynes 8
126

Carried by Andre Johnson I would have beat Mac 126-82.5. Of course I wouldn't have stood a chance if Mark had been the #1 seed, or even against Niraj.

But now I'm in the Hypothetical Super Bowl against Mark. (sigh)

- - -

Also, for what it's worth, my 3rd place scenario is playing out exactly as I supposed it could. Burnsy scores 145 in the first round, and would have beat two of the other playoff teams. Instead he's eliminated because Mark went crazy. So what is Burnsy's reward? Nothing. He could finish in 4th place, and owe $10 to Mac, the same guy he would have beat by 60.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate that 4th place really doesn't get rewarded for making the playoffs, since they still lose their $10. I'm not saying only because I could end up in fourth...there really should be reward for all teams making the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But now it's settled on the field. If Burnsy really does have the 3rd best team, he'll beat Doyle. And finishing in 4th place means finishing the season on a 2 game losing streak. We don't have to reward that.

    It sucks for Harlan that last place is just regular season. He won his game and can't finish in last according to the ESPN rules. And how bad is Swag that Matt's QB-less team beat him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there should be a reward for 4th place. I like that there is an element of rewards only for winners in the playoffs.

    I don't think it sucks for Harlan. Once the regular season is over, if you're eliminated you stop trying. I didn't make any moves or even bother setting my roster, who cares, it's over. As far as I'm concerned there is no loser's bracket. A 3rd place game sure, but no bracket for teams that didn't make the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean exactly by "tie breakers" to decide who made the playoffs? I know you, Kirat and I had the same record but I thought I made it because I had the most points of the three of us. Is that not correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't find exactly in the rules, but I know Mark said he saw where it said head-to-head was a tiebreaker for seeding, among playoff teams that have the same record. That's why Mac was the #1 seed even though Mark scored the most points.

    As for determining who gets into the playoffs, Kirat beat Stevo, yet Stevo made it in. It may have been complicated by the fact that it was a 3-way tie, and I'm not sure how they would treat me vs Kirat head-to-head since we split our games. (Not sure if they treat it as a tie and move on to total points, or if they look at head-to-head point differential). Anyways, ESPN automatically set up the playoff bracket and there wasn't any decision for the commissioner to make, so that's the way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im not sure, but I thought it was because I scored 1496 pts, Kirat scored 1432 and Dave scored 1405.5 pts.

    Unless it was set up to have two teams from each division make the playoffs. I really dont know...

    ReplyDelete