Wednesday, December 23, 2009

draft redo

I didn't draft very well. With the hindsight of the season totals, here's the best team I could have come up with. Since I had the 9th pick, AD and MJD were already off the board.


1. A. Johnson, WR

2. C. Johnson, RB

3. B. Marshall, WR

4. M. Schaub, QB

5. D. Jackson, WR

6. Ray Rice, RB

7. B. Favre, QB

8. Eagles D

9. Kaeding, K

10. Akers, K

11. Packers D*

12. C. Benson, RB

13. B. Celek, TE*

14. V. Davis, TE*

15. R. Williams, RB*

16. M. Austin, WR*

*these players went undrafted

Some of these players got hot later in the year, but I still think with this roster you would go 15-0. Here's how it looks, with positional rankings in parenthesis:

QB Schuab (4th)
RB C. Johnson (1st)
RB R. Rice (4th)
WR A. Johnson (1st)
WR M. Austin (3rd)
Flex B. Marshall (4th)
TE Davis (2nd)
D Eagles (1st)
K Akers (1st)

Bench:
Favre (8th)
R. Williams (6th)
C. Benson (12th)
D. Jackson (8th)
Celek (5th)
Packers (2nd)
Kaeding (2nd)

- - -

Some observations:

Even with knowing all the answers, it's not possible to build the perfect lineup because some of the best were drafted before I even had my first pick, and to get the elite RB/WR, you can't get a top QB.

On the other hand, of the 9 starting slots, 4 of the best positions could have been had with undrafted players. Plus, the kicker really doesn't matter that much and I grabbed the #3 kicker off the waiver wire early in the season.

So since you can fill 5 positions well from the waiver wire, you have 16 draft picks to nail a QB, RB, WR, and a flex. It sounds so simple.

Also note, that Mark had better running backs on his team, than the team I constructed with 20/20 hindsight. That's bananas.

1 comment:

  1. One of the keys to my season that hasn't been mentioned is a lack of injuries to my key guys. I lost Kevin Smith for awhile and he didn't play as well after the injury as before, but other than that, my guys were healthy and productive.

    I looked to see what happened to Doyle McPoyle, who tanked about 2/3 through the season. It was obvious. Michael Turner's injury. All of a sudden, he's going from the #2 pick in the draft and one of the top RBs to somebody who should be a flex play. He never recovered.

    ReplyDelete