Thursday, October 01, 2020

2020 Census: Favorite Foods

I like food a lot. Too much really. 


But since I like food so much, I think it's worth noting which foods. First, some general observations. In my opinion...

Pizza is the world's most perfect food. The way the dough, sauce and cheese all cook together at the perfect time, the way that it combines bread, cheese, veggies and meat into one bite, that it can be a snack or a meal, the way everyone can get what they want on it but also a slice of plain cheese is always delicious. There might be 100 perfect foods in the world, but pizza is the most perfect.

Warm, buttered bread is the simplest perfect food. As I just said, there are many perfect foods. But a nice piece of bread like sourdough or Italian, still warm with some butter. It's perfection at its simplest.

It doesn't get any better than a cheeseburger. Like, you can choose to go to a very expensive tasting menu and try seven chef-inspired dishes...or you can have a good cheeseburger. At minimum, it's a draw. You just can't beat a cheeseburger.

My personal favorite food is barbecue. No other food brings me as much joy. You can taste how much time was spent preparing it, you can feel the love in it, and there's nostalgia wrapped around it for me as well. Burnt ends, ribs and fatty brisket are my favorites. 

- - -

Okay, let's get into it. I'll break it down by breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Breakfast

At a restaurant, my go-to order is biscuits and gravy. 

At home, I love to make Aunt Gerties, the thin pancakes my Grandpa taught me how to make. Complete with sausage and country hashbrowns and orange juice. 

 
Lunch

When I'm eating whatever, Five Guys, Which Wich, Raising Cane's are some of my favorites. 

When I'm on track (which needs to be always), I can find good stuff at Chipotle/Qdoba, Twisted Fresh, Zoe's Kitchen. 


Dinner

I used to rave about steak, but now I'd rather eat barbecue than steak. 
I also prefer cast-iron food (like burgers) to grilled food.
The best dinner I make is probably the angel hair carbonara. 
At holiday meals, I love the white cheddar mac & cheese, twice baked potato casserole, and no-soup green bean casserole. 
Buffalo wings are a big winner for me.
For dessert, chocolate chip pie, pecan pie and dutch apple pie. 

- - -

I just looked back at my 2010 census post.

I still love Mint Milanos, Kettle chips and Tostitos with Lime. I don't get to have it much but I still love deep dish pizza and Italian Beef Combo (half italian beef, half italian sausage with hot peppers.)

Who would have known that my sports teams would change more than my tastebuds in a decade?



No comments:

Post a Comment