Thursday, October 01, 2020

2020 Census: Favorite Books & Podcasts

This is the saddest confession, so I might as well get it out of the way. I don't really read books anymore.

The last real book I read was last year, Raised in Captivity by Chuck Klosterman. I bought Point B by Drew Magary but haven't been able to dive into it. 

The time in my life when I read the most books for pleasure was when I lived in Oak Park and commuted on the Green Line for an hour a day. It was really nice to have that dedicated reading time, before and after work. 

Now, I listen to podcasts on my commute. And I've been reading more on Medium, though these short takes don't provide nearly the substance of a book. 

Once my kids go off to college, I can see myself being bored and turning to books once again. When I do I should use Goodreads or something similar to keep track, as I end up forgetting them. 

- - -

My favorite authors are Palahniuk, Vonnegut, Klosterman, Serrano and Gladwell.

I also think Chabon is excellent, though I haven't read of him as much as I should. 

Same for Ta-Nehisi Coates. 

I still remember reading Savages by Don Winslow, and thinking the plot was just okay, but the prose itself was beautiful. 

I also really enjoyed 11.22.63 by Stephen King even if I didn't like the ending. 

Also, shout out Hemingway. 

- - - 

Seems like I should note my favorite podcasts as well, since they've replaced my leisure reading. 

The best podcast that I listen to is Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell. I love the premise of diving into something that is misunderstood and the stories are usually eye-opening and thought-provoking. Even if every season, there's always one episode where I disagree with his conclusions. 

Radiolab is amazing. 

The Dollop is great too. 

From the Ringer, I'm a big fan of Rewatchables. I'm in on anything with Shea Serrano or Klosterman, which include The Connect and Music Exists at the moment. 

I think it's pretty cool that 3 of my favorite 5 authors have podcasts producing new content in 2020.



2010 version

No comments:

Post a Comment