Thursday, October 08, 2020

2020 Census: Projecting My Future

So no joke, I've thought about this post a ton over the last ten years. Not about projecting for 2030, but about seeing how close I came to achieving what I predicted back in 2010. 


From 2010: 

Where will I be in 10 years?

Well, let's recap where I'm at right now in 2010. I'm 26, a 5-year copywriter in Chicago. I'm married, no kids, and write in my free time but have nothing published.

In 2020, I predict I will be an ACD in Denver. I'll be married, have 2 kids, and I predict I'll have at least gotten one thing published.


ACD? I did become an Associate Creative Director in late 2016, but am currently a Senior Copywriter, one step below that. 

Denver? I lived in Denver for over five years but am currently in Kansas City. 

Married? I got divorced but then remarried the same woman.

2 kids? Yep. 

One thing published? I self-published 3 different books (which probably doesn't count) and then this year got articles published in other publications on Medium (which I think does count.)

- - -

In 2016, I had a choice to make: become an ACD in Kansas City or become an ACD in Denver. I chose Kansas City and that ultimately fell through. Final score on the prediction was 3 out of 5, although I did achieve the other two at some point in the last ten years. 

- - -

Okay, so let's recap where I am right now. 

I'm 36, a senior copywriter in Kansas City. I'm married, 2 kids and I make a lot of things in my free time. 

So where will I be in 10 years?

Dang. Who knows? I guess that's the point of this exercise. Okay, fine let's say Creative Director in Kansas City. I'll be married with 2 kids and my oldest starting college at NYU. I predict I'll continue to make things, including in some form or fashion that I haven't done yet. I'll go ahead and predict I'll be under 200 pounds too, something I'm not right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment