Tuesday, February 09, 2010

earth foods update: post-challenge

I made it. (Mostly.) 28 days eating only foods from the earth.

In the last week or so, I was more lax about mayonnaise, and little things like that. I had two cans of Fresca. And on the 28th night I had a piece of crab rangoon.

I went most of the time without having any bread, before finding a loaf of Pepperidge Farm that satisfied my time. I still haven't had any sort of pasta in over a month. For the Super Bowl, we ordered deep dish pizza from Edwardo's. It was good. But one thing that's surprising, despite how many "foods" became off limits, is that it wasn't that hard to start, and it wasn't that shocking to eat pizza again.

Perhaps, because it was only 28 days, and I knew when it was ending that it wasn't as big of a deal as I expected.

- - -

One side effect that I expected, but wasn't the reason I started, was weight loss. It's true I did lose weight. But not at rates that I would have guessed.

The first week I lost 4.5 pounds.
The second week I lost 2 pounds.
The third week I lost 1 pound.
The fourth week I gained 1 pound.

All told, I lost 6.5 pounds in four weeks. But really it was in the first two weeks, and again really just the first week.

The explanation for the fourth week, is that I really didn't care about portions or limiting calories. I ended up going kind of nuts for roasted plantain chips and sweet/spicy sesame nuts.

The explanation for the first week, is I think mostly my body was burning calories at a high rate from the holiday-eatfest, so it was ready to shed pounds. Plus, I was eating more fruit and less nuts that week, and watching portions more closely.

So losing weight isn't as simple as just eating foods from the earth. You can't forget everything else you know about nutrition. But it is an interesting way to kick start. It could be the motivation you need for cutting out your specific vice whether it's cookies or chips or cheese.

- - -

So what does this mean moving forward?

Well even before I started I knew I wasn't going to quit eating burgers/sandwiches. Or say that I'll never eat another pizza or even candy.

But I have discovered some new foods and plan on making some lasting changes.

  • I've converted from eating a processed protein bar to eating natural oatmeal for breakfast, for the same amount of calories.
  • I think that I'll continue to use romaine leaves in place of bread when I can.
  • I like buying fresh burgers and fresh chicken drumsticks
  • Hummus on chicken and burgers, as well as oven fries should be regular items
  • And I discovered that making my own squash soup is fantastic, especially paired with some roasted chicken.
  • And in the snack department, why not reach for dried mango and plantain chips?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the challenge. I realized that pasta is not the world's greatest food. I'm fine without it. And bread isn't that great either. I can live without that too. I think we should ROOOODDEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

    ReplyDelete