Saturday, September 26, 2020

2020 Census: Favorite Sports Teams

After looking forward to this series last year, it turns out I'm running out of 2020. 

Wait, that's a bad start. Let me start over. 

Welcome to the 2020 Hoagie Central Census. A personal time capsule so that every ten years I can take stock of who I am and what I'm into. First topic is an easy one. My favorite sports teams. 

The first is a no-brainer. 



After that, the next three are pretty close. I'm thinking about which teams I follow the news on the most, which games I watch the most, and which teams I'd most want to see win a championship. What makes this hard is that it's basically impossible to imagine Illinois Football winning a national championship. Even a Big Ten title seems out of reach. This shouldn't matter, but it ends up affecting things. I don't sit down and watch Illinois football games because they lose so much. 

If I could choose between seeing the Avs lift the Cup and the Illini cut down the nets in April...I'd rather see Illinois. For one thing, I am an Illini. I went there and graduated. I was born in Kansas City and moved to Colorado, but neither of those provides as much ownership as choosing where to go to college and actually becoming an Illini. 

Also, and maybe this is silly, but if the Avalanche won, I feel like the hockey world wouldn't care. It's no different if Tampa or Dallas win, just another franchise. They've already won this century. But if Illinois won a title? That's a reputation changer. College basketball fans would see Illinois differently. 

So here's where I stand right now:
(basketball)

(football)



Those are the four that I care about. Still don't have an NBA team or MLB team. I was a bandwagon Royals fan in 2014 and 2015 and thankful that I can go back to not caring about that team. 

I've been in KC for almost 4 full years now and never been to a Sporting KC game, so I'm not even bandwagon status there. 

Really, after those four teams above what I care about most is my Calcutta teams or my fantasy football team. 

And then when US Soccer or Olympic curling or whatever has a moment, I'm ready to hop on the bandwagon. Still hard to believe that after almost advancing to the final 8 in the 2014 World Cup, that the US missed the 2018 World Cup. 



No comments:

Post a Comment