Monday, June 10, 2024

At Peace

When the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 after an 86-year drought, Bill Simmons wrote a book called Now I Can Die in Peace. I was never a baseball guy, but the concept stuck with me. 

At now at age 40, I can look at the life I've built and say that I feel at peace. 

To recap, here's where I'm at:


married to the love of my life
granted the opportunity to be a dad to two wonderful boys
made a successful advertising career and achieved my lifelong goal of becoming Creative Director
made great friends in college and have been able to hang on to them
traveled the world including Hawaii, Italy, Greece, Jamaica, Argentina
saw the Chiefs win multiple Super Bowls and the Avalanche lift the Cup
saw Derren Brown in person and go on stage as part of the finale
made my soul happy by creating books, movies, music, podcasts and a cookbook


So what does this mean?

Two things. 

1. I've built a great life and I want to keep enjoying it. But tomorrow is not promised. If my time is up before I expect, I want everyone to know (including myself) that I'm at peace. 

2. I've built a great life and I want to keep enjoying it. While I'm sure that I will embark on new hobbies, visit new places, achieve new milestones...what I really want to focus on is savoring the life that I've created and not take any of it for granted.

3 comments:

  1. I did use this exact opening when the Avs won the Cup, when I became complete as a sports fan. Now I feel complete in every capacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome feeling, and kind of a freeing one too, as emphasized in your second point.

      Delete
  2. That's great, but please don't let this be your suicide note.

    ReplyDelete