Friday, June 06, 2014

a good walk spoiled: part nine

This was the best round I've played in nine years.

Yes it was a Par 3 course. But still.

Prior to today, my best finish was +9 on August 27, 2005. And I've made a total of four pars.
Today I was +10 and added another two pars to my career.

I really played great. Remembering to follow through makes a big difference.

Most of my tee shots felt great. The strange thing was that I didn't land any on the green. But I put about 4 or 5 on the fringe.

I'll go hole by hole as best I can remember.

#1. First shot came of nice. Put it on the fringe, short and left. A nice chip and a good first putt left me with an easy 4.

#2. My tee shot also landed on the fringe, short and left. But it wasn't as far as on the first hole. I use my PW to chip and it was amazing. For a second I thought it was going to roll into the cup. Instead it stopped within two feet. Easy one putt for par.

#3. I followed my par with one of my worst tee shots, a skimmer along the fairway. But I was able to put a 9-iron close enough to two-putt.

#4. All I remember about this hole is that I made an 8 to 10 foot putt to save my four. Best putt of the day.

#5. This one is deceptive. It's all uphill and the pin was at the very back of a deep green with multiple ridges. My tee shot was my best all day. It landed on the fringe but close to hole. I had a birdie putt. It wasn't that realistic, but I had one. I came close to making it but pushed it past the hole far enough that I three-putted.

#6. Very similar to my par on hole #2. My tee shot again landed on the fringe. This time I putted it to two feet away. As simple as it gets.

#7. I again followed my par with one of my worst tee shots, high but way right over a hill, 50 yards from the pin. From there I hit one of the best shots, a 9-iron that got up over the hill and landed on the green, close enough to two-putt.

#8. This one played really long. I use the 3-iron off the tee for the first time. Didn't hit it that well. Second shot got close and then I duffed my chip on the next shot.

#9. This green was tough. (Come to think of it, these greens were much tougher than Walnut Greens back in the day.) The pin was on a small raised tier. My second shot was a chip that got up on the tier and then rolled into the fringe. From there I putted and almost saved par, but rolled down the tier. Fourth putt was good and almost went in.

So there you go. +10. Probably was the best I've ever played.

No comments:

Post a Comment