Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Search for Denver's Best Burrito:
El Taco De Mexico

This is the fourth installment of this series that I explained fully here.

Denver Burrito #4: El Taco De Mexico
714 Santa Fe

I had high hopes. This was highly recommended on both yelp and reddit. Inside there are a few tables and a large counter with stools. A menu board is posted above the counter and runs twenty feet wide.

(all photos from Yelp, not mine)

An elderly woman was standing behind the counter. She didn't say anything and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to sit at a table or order. I went with the al pastor burrito, no beans, smothered. I was pleased to see on the menu board that it would have arroz inside. Smothered it was 7.55, over 8 bucks with tax.

I sat at the counter. Within minutes I was served a burrito on a plate. It looked more or less like this:


Smothered in green chili, with white cheese on top, rolled and folded at the ends. It was large, which I suppose is standard. The first two bites are nothing but tortilla. Now I see the benefit of El Tepehuan leaving the ends unfolded.

And then I got to the al pastor. Right away you know you're in for a treat. This is the third time now I've been very, very impressed with the flavor of the meat at these authentic places. Spicy but not too hot. Just big bold flavor. I expected to find some pineapple, but didn't. Regardless the meat is fantastic.

The rice is a welcome addition. It was spanish rice (or perhaps they would prefer I call it Mexican rice). Flavorful and complemented the meat. The more bites I took, the more flavor seemed to be revealed. Yes it was a bit spicy, and I was drinking my water, but it seemed to be just well-rounded, deep flavors. I dug a bit and found bits of cooked onion and cilantro. There was more going on than they boast on their menu board.

The green chili supported it nicely. It's a bit different structurally from the salsa on the inside, but the effect is the same. Likewise for the cheese.

The tortilla was there to not get in the way. It wasn't bad, not noticeably great. Just a typical flour tortilla that brought it all together. But there was tons of flavor inside and out. The meat is the star, but it had supporting elements that brought their own flavor to the party.

In at least one aspect, this search is already a success. I found a burrito superior to Chipotle. Which I suppose, means it's the best burrito I've ever had.

El Taco De Mexico 9.5
Chipotle 8.5
Bocaza 7.5
El Tepehaun 7.5
Tacos Rapidos 7



No comments:

Post a Comment