Sunday, April 22, 2012

a good walk spoiled: part seven

Here's a recap of my golf outings in the modern era:

August 14, 2005: +15 on a par 3
August 27, 2005: +9 on a par 3
July 3, 2009: +17 on a par 3
July 3, 2010: +22 on a par 3
July 5, 2010: +22 on a normal 9-hole course
October 3, 2010: +23 on a normal 9-hole course
October 16, 2011: +17 on a par 3

A few takeaways:

  • I've only played 9 holes at a time
  • I'm not that much worse on a normal course vs a par 3 course
  • My best rounds were the first two I had played since before college
  • July 3 was the earliest I had ever golfed in a year
  • I skipped three years entirely
  • I only have golfed at least three times in a year in 2010


The weather's been great here for a while (it never really got too cold anyways) so golf had been on my mind for over a month. And now that I'm a dad (and curling is over) I really appreciate any time that I'm not working or taking care of H.

H woke up today at 6:30. Not only is that a good hour earlier, that means he's crabby because he didn't sleep enough. So I got up with him and tried to do some great parenting from the couch.

Anyways, by noon I was ready to hit the links.


I kept track of my swings and putts just for fun.

On the first hole I had a putt for par, after a decent chip. I missed my par putt by an inch but thought it was a good start. Of course it was only a 72-yard hole.

A good drive on the second hole. And it felt good on the third, but was a little strong and a little left, finding some deep grass. I opted to take a penalty drop, had a good chip and a one put to save bogey.

The fourth hole was my only disaster. Sliced my 7-iron tee shot and never found it. I was in the green in four, but it was a huge green and I was left with a super long putt. I left it short and that led to a four-putt. Yikes.

I hit a beauty on the fifth. 150-yards with my five iron, just shy of the green. It was a tough pin placement though, on the very near side. My chip came up a bit short on the fringe and it wasn't a realistic putt for par.

Another tee shot that felt good on the sixth, though it was a bit left.

My shot of the day came on hole 7. I hit a 7-iron perfectly. High, good distance, as soon as it left my club I knew it was going on the green. I left myself a 15-20 foot putt and I was only thinking two putt. Get my par and get out. It was slightly up hill and I left it shorter than I wanted. Still I think it was probably a four or five putt for par. Totally makeable. And I pushed it wide by an inch. And then in frustration, pushed it wide coming back down the hill. Wasted my best shot.

My shot on the 8th also found the green, but it was uglier, more of a line drive that rolled up there. After a decent first putt, I had a four footer for par. And I missed that one too.

My last chance for par came on the last hole. It was a 10-footer and I went for it. Of course wide and hard and I left myself a tough 6 or 7 footer coming back. I actually made that one, my best putt of the day.

I actually walked away feeling like I played really well. I think that tee shots affect your feelings more than putts, but putts affect your scores just as much. Only one bad tee shot all day. Another was ugly but landed on the green anyways.

I know I can't chip for shit, and today my putting was just as bad.

Still, good to get out. See some mountains, walk some fairways.

No comments:

Post a Comment