Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mark Fever: Make Your Own Six-Packs



Between the two of us, Mark and I consumed 11 bottles of beer at home, from Friday to Sunday. The picture above shows my rankings visually, best on the left.

Mark agreed in some places, disagreed in others. I know he liked the Red Banshee better than the BigLeaf Maple. Overall, these weren't as good as last years.

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red - Blue Moon Brewing Company - Golden, CO

This was the favorite for both of us. It just had a really great taste, exactly what you want a red to taste like.

BigLeaf Maple Autumn Red - Anchor Brewing Company - San Francisco, California

We didn't taste any maple, but this was another solid red. Mark thought it was too hoppy, but I liked it a lot.

Colorado Native - AC Golden Brewing Company/MillerCoors - Golden, CO

This is third in my list, but wasn't that great. It was a decent simple lager.

Sawtooth Ale - Left Hand Brewing Company - Longmont, CO

This was the first beer I've had from this craft brewery and I liked it. Simple but smooth. I'd try some of their other beers.

Jack Whacker Wheat - Tommyknocker Brewery - Idaho Springs, CO

Last year a Tommyknocker beer was our favorite, so I tried a different style. The bottle claimed notes of lemony-citrus but that was almost too much. Still it was easy to drink.

Lands End Amber Ale - Kannah Creek Brewing Company - Grand Junction, CO

This was totally unremarkable. I thought it was boring, verging on bad.

Red Banshee - Fort Collins Brewery - Fort Collins, CO

I thought I was going to love this as I've really been into reds lately. Unfortunately it tasted like a brown beer to me, and a boring one a that.

Angry Orchard Crisp Apple - Boston Beer Company - Boston, MA

Eagle-eyed readers will see that this is the 1 of 12 that we didn't drink. I had a couple of these last fall so I feel like I can place it here, it's a good cider, but that still won't beat out a good beer.

Doggie Style Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery - Denver, CO/Frederick, MD

I thought I was going to love this because I've loved it before. I suppose my tastes have changed in the last five years. It was a very hoppy pale ale (as you would expect) but that made it hard to drink.

Hofbräu Maibock - Hofbräuhaus München - Munich, Germany

I didn't think I was going to like this, and I didn't. I only had a sip. I generally don't like European beers and this was no exception. Tasted bland and watery to me.

Bitch Creek ESB - Grand Teton Brewing - Victor, ID

This was the worst beer (not a cider) that we had. It was so dark and bitter, it was just undrinkable. I finished my half-bottle, but I don't think Mark did.

Woodchuck Hard Cider Pear - Vermont Hard Cider Company - Middlebury, VT

This was some of the worst shit I've ever tasted. I got pear specifically because Brit likes pear drinks and I thought it sounded good. It was vile. No one finished their glass. Truly, truly horrendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment