Thursday, July 03, 2014

checking on my World Cup bracket: before quarterfinals

I made a bracket before the tournament. Not as a competitive thing, more so just to see how easy the World Cup is to predict.

Of the 16 teams I predicted to advance to the knockout round, I got 11 correct.

I was overconfident on Spain, Italy, Portugal, Russia and Bosnia as my sleeper for no reason.
I was underconfident on Chile, Nigeria, Algeria, Costa Rica and USA. (reverse homerism!)

Of the 8 teams I predicted to make it to the quarterfinals, I got 4 correct: Brazil, Columbia, Germany and Argentina. 3 of my final four are still alive (Spain the other).

On the bright side, the next four games all appear to be exciting. I think France-Germany and Brazil-Columbia could go either way and it's cool that they are regional rivals. The Netherlands and Argentina would seem to be the favorites in the other games, but you never know.

A Brazil-Argentina final would be the most interesting final possible and would cause a multitude of riots.

No comments:

Post a Comment