Monday, October 05, 2020

2020 Census: Favorite Music

The point of this is not trying to rank the objectively best bands. It's a time capsule. What bands am I listening to the most. What bands do I want to listen to the most. 


Here are the 7 that I immediately put into my top ten, in alphabetical order:

311

Alkaline Trio

Dashboard Confessional

Motion City Soundtrack

New Found Glory

Panic! at the Disco

Vampire Weekend

(After debating about including Vampire Weekend in the 2010 top ten, they firmly belong now.)


So that leaves three spots for the likes of The Hold Steady, Seaway, Sublime, Brand New, Ozma, Third Eye Blind, The National, The Stereo, Weezer, Twenty One Pilots...

I narrowed that list down to a next four: Third Eye Blind, Ozma, Brand New, and The Hold Steady. 

I realized that I've listened to Third Eye Blind and Ozma recently, so they're in. 

So now it's down to Brand New vs The Hold Steady. Let's go with The Hold Steady. 



So my 2020 top ten Favorite Bands:

311

Alkaline Trio

Dashboard Confessional

The Hold Steady

Motion City Soundtrack

New Found Glory

Ozma

Panic! at the Disco

Third Eye Blind

Vampire Weekend


- - -


Here's my favorite album by each of my favorite bands in chronological order:


Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind (1997)

Alkaline Trio: Goddamnit (1998)

Dashboard Confessional: The Swiss Army Romance (2000)

Ozma: Rock and Roll Part Three (2001)

Motion City Soundtrack: Commit This to Memory (2005)

The Hold Steady: Boys and Girls in America (2006)

Panic! at the Disco: Pretty. Odd. (2008)

Vampire Weekend: Modern Vampires of the City (2013)

New Found Glory: Resurrection (2014)

311: MOSAIC (2017)


- - -


A note on 311's MOSAIC: It's not their best album, but because it's newish, I haven't played it out yet, so it's the one I want to most listen to right now. 

A note on Alkaline Trio, I almost wanted to pick Crimson or even From Here to Infirmary. 

A note on Dashboard Confessional, I almost wanted to pick A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar

A note on New Found Glory, it's not really about any one album. I could have easily picked self-titled. 



2010 bands

2010 albums

No comments:

Post a Comment