Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Daily Favorites: Mexican Casserole



This is a volume eater's dream. And yes, I am one. 

This dish originated from when I discovered one superstar ingredient: Trader Joe's Mexican-Style Riced Cauliflower. 

The entire one-pound bag has 200 calories. I first had it as a side dish but I quickly realized I could turn it into an entree pretty easily. 

entire bag of riced cauliflower: 200 cals
4 oz of 90% lean beef: 200 cals
red onion, red pepper, a little yogurt: 50 cals
50g of cheddar: 140 cals
topped with sour cream, cilantro, lime and hot sauce

You end up with a giant casserole that weighs about 800 grams for about 600 cals. 

This was the first Daily Favorites where I made a 600 calorie dish and had leftovers. 

- - -

Cooked the cauliflower in one pan. 
Cooked the beef, then onion and red pepper in the other pan. Seasoned well.
Combined with 50g of nonfat plain greek yogurt in the casserole dish just so it wouldn't be dry. 
Topped with the cheese and broiled until melted. Easy.

It's pretty tasty. You could even make half of this and use as filling for tacos. But it's perfect for when you're really hungry and want to eat a lot of something but don't want to go over on cals. 

I mean, I love cilantro, lime, sour cream and hot sauce so any dish, from a casserole to a salad, I'm eager to give it a mexican flavor profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment