Saturday, November 06, 2021

Work Trip to Rome

Back in 2009, I spent 10 days in Italy. It's held the spot of favorite foreign country for me ever since. Florence and Tuscany was my favorite area, but I loved Rome as well. (Venice was a distant 3rd for me.) So when I heard that my work was sending me on a Greek Isles trip that included a day layover in Rome, I was very excited for both parts. Much more to come on Greece in a separate post. 

We arrived on a Sunday Morning and walked through the Villa Borghese gardens. We saw a zoo and a ton of locals enjoying a beautiful fall day, including a dog park area. We had lunch at Casina del Lago. The food wasn't the best but the views were nice.



The Coke Zero cans claim 100% gusto, which is a good motto for this trip. We only had one day, so time to hit the highlights. I threw a coin in the Trevi Fountain, just like I did in 2009. According to legend if you do this, you will be destined to return to Rome. It only took 12 years for the first coin to work, so we'll see about this one.


The line to get into the Pantheon was out of this world, so we enjoyed it from the outside.



Then I revisited the best gelato in the world at Della Palma.


I got nutella and it is just as good as I remembered. 


And then we walked from there to Piazza Novana and then the Colosseum. Having a smartphone with Google Maps was much nicer than relying on the plastic maps and guidebooks.


And then for dinner, we went to Taverna Rossini where I ordered the carbonara.


This was EASILY the best carbonara I've ever had. Oh man. Worth the flight just for this. We only had one day in Rome. But it was a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment