Friday, October 05, 2007

baseball hamper dump: playoff edition


The whole time I was hoping the Cubs would make the playoffs, because it's more fun when they do. Of course, I was also hoping that there would be some sort of Bartmanesque controversy that results in the Cubs losing the series (perhaps even the World Series). If they had been on the Padres end of the Holliday slide, that would have been sufficient. But alas, it looks as they will shrink into the night with the only thing to gripe about is Zambrano coming out before the 7th. (My take: he had to come out after the 7th, so you had to bring a relief pitcher in eventually. Even if he comes in the 8th, he still probably gives up those runs. And it's not as if the Cubs were winning anyways. )

But I was struck by something, particularly as I'm packing my Chiefs-Jaguars tickets...I do feel sorry for the home team when the lose, particularly the Phillies. Although I happen to be rooting for the Rockies because of how they made the playoffs, it really sucks to get on a hot streak, win the division, get home field advantage, buy playoff tickets, take off of work, and sit there and watch the fucking Rockies win two games in your stadium.

As for the Rockies, I started rooting for them when there were still a couple games out, and they weren't even mention in the playoff picture. And then it seemed like the Padres were a lock, and Colorado never gave up. And then they had the 1-game playoff and the comeback in the 13th and the play at the plate...

So I'm watching it live, and I see Holliday slide and I see the catcher drop the ball, and I'm mentally screaming at him, "Touch the plate! Touch the plate! All you have to do is turn over and you win the game!" But he was hurt, didn't try to touch the plate, and they gave it to him. So even on the first look, I knew he didn't get it.

As much fun as it was to see the Yankees lose, Red Sox-Indians isn't nearly as compelling as Red Sox-Yankees. And playing the Diamondbacks is no fun either. The Cubs would be the most interesting NL Champ, and I guess the Rockies would be better than the D-backs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the home team losing thing. After going to so many Illini games, I realized that it was hard to see the home team lose, especially when we were good or it was a close game.

    I'm rooting for the Rockies. And yeah, Red Sox-Yankees is the most interesting thing left. But it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. Could they all be sweeps, though?

    ReplyDelete