Friday, October 19, 2007

my night of being a rutgers fan


Last night the softball team went out to our usual sports bar for our end of the year party. There were fun awards (I won the Cy Young award for the second year in a row) and it was a good time. The main reason we go to this bar is that their Thursday special (our gameday) is 10 cent wings, and they are some of the best wings I've ever had. Last night we probably ate about 150 wings and drank 27 pitchers. For a grand total bill of $248.

Anywho, as we were drinking and settling in to focus on game 5 of the ALCS, we couldn't help but notice they group of 5 or 6 USF fans, wearing green and gold and cheering on the South Florida Bulls. They were playing Rutgers and this was USF's time in the spotlight to shine as the #2 team in the country. And this group was really loud, they even brought a cowbell and were ringing when USF scored.

Well, because I'm obnoxious and I thought it was ludicrous that there was this sort of passion for the USF football team in a random Chicago bar, I took it upon myself to start rooting for Rutgers, only to spite this group of fans that was about 10 feet away from our team. I was able to rope in a fellow softball team member to root for Rutgers with me and we certainly made our presence felt.

When Rutgers took the lead, we were cheering and one of the guys stood up and turned around and sort of glared us, partly confused. Then, they started ramping up their USF support. They were now ringing their cowbell when they got a first down, and were yelling at the refs.

When USF scored to make it 27-30, a different guy stood up, made both of his hands into the shape of a gun pointed at me, pretended to shoot me, and said "Boom."

These guys were for real.

Of course, Rutgers would go on to win, and a different fan ended up breaking something, it may have been a beer bottle. They were not pleased. But that's what you get for rooting for USF.

No comments:

Post a Comment