Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Kansas City Recap 1 of 2: The Barbecue

We had 22 hours in Kansas City, including about 9 hours of sleep and 3 hours of football. But in that 22 hours, I managed to get 3 meals of KC barbecue. (All of these are high-res, click to get tasty detail) Here's what went down:

Saturday 5 pm: Oklahoma Joe's


This was literally the first thing we did as we arrived in the city. Their house specialty, according to their menu, is the pulled pork sandwich. I thought about getting the Hogmaniac Saturday special, but knew I needed to pace myself.


They offered a jumbo pork sandwich, but I ordered the regular size. Still, I was a little underwhelmed that the meat didn't cover the entire bun. The pork was very good as was their sauce. The fries were nicely seasoned as well, and the portions of the sides were huge. The whole meal was very good, although not that remarkable.

Pork Sandwich: A-
BBQ Sauces: A
Fries: A
Onion Rings: A-
Cole Slaw: C

Overall: A-


Saturday 10pm: Fiorella's Jack Stack (carryout)


This place had some of the best reviews I've seen, although some were critical that it was too upscale--that barbecue should be eaten with a roll of paper towels, not white table clothes. And I don't disagree. But I had carry out, so I'm only commenting on what I ate. I ordered the Burnt End special, a 1/2 pound of both pork and beef burnt ends (a KC specialty) that included fries and beans.


I'm very glad I ordered the pork and beef combo--when I just said burnt end special, the guy asked "Beef?" Well, after thinking it over, I am going to go on record as saying the pork burnt ends are the best barbecue I've ever had.

Just incredible. So tender and flavorful that I didn't dare add any sauce to it, and I'm a guy who usually bathes my meat in sauce. Just out of this world.

The beef on the other hand, had a good flavor, but were chewy, and just okay. The beans were perfect but the fries were mediocre. All in all though, a great place, and I would definitely go back and order the pork burnt ends.

Pork Burnt Ends: A+++
Beef Burnt Ends: B
Sauce: A-
Beans: A+
Fries: C

Overall: A

Sunday 11:30 am: Gates at Arrowhead


This was a bonus. The last two times I've been to Arrowhead, I looked and looked for any barbecue concessions and couldn't find any. Of course, I was on the 300 level of the visitor's bench. This time, On the lower level on the Chiefs's side, there were two Gates' locations. Talk about hog heaven. Pun intended!

I got the pork on bun:


I must say I was a little worried that Gates, my hometown favorite, might not be as good as the other places....that all these years I've been going to a second-rate 'cue place. Well, my fears were put to rest. This pork sandwich was sliced fresh and it was delicious. Their sauce doesn't mess around, it is hot and it is good.

And as I sat there in the Arrowhead seats watching the Chiefs warm up, it was just about perfect.

Pork on Bun: A
Sauce: A

Overall: A

Of course, it's important to remember that you can't judge an entire place on one thing. If I would have only had the beef at Jack Stack, I would have been sorely disappointed. Anyways, it was quite a delicious weekend.

2 comments:

  1. It's a good thing it's lunchtime because those are some tantalizing pictures and descriptions. Too bad I can't get any good barbecue around here. At least not that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we get a parallel recap of Mrs. Hoagie Central rating the potatoes at the various restaurants.

    Also, the burnt pork was better than 17th street? Sure, they are different styles, but still won't stand for it.

    ReplyDelete