Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Most Valuable Player on Each NFL Team

You often hear this discussion: If you could start an NFL team with one player, who would it be? Or if you could pick one player on offense and one player on defense who would it be? Well, I started thinking about that and realized the context for that is essentially an expansion draft. But here's the thing that no one ever mentions in this context—teams get to protect players in an expansion draft.

So I thought it would be a fun exercise to see, if each team could protect one player, who would it be? I'm not the biggest roster expert in the world, so you might quibble with some of my choices, but that's part of the rub.


Chiefs: Mahomes
Chargers: Joey Bosa
Raiders: Eesh, not much talent here. I'd probably protect Waller, but he's not even a top-3 TE.
Broncos: It's still Von Miller. Too early to say Drew Lock.

Texans: Watson
Titans: Henry
Jaguars: You probably don't protect Fournette. Calais Campbell over Myles Jack I guess.
Colts: I think it's Quenton Nelson.

Ravens: Jackson
Browns: I'd pick Myles Garret over OBJ or Chubb.
Steelers: TJ Watt
Bengals: The rights to Joe Burrow

Patriots: It can't be Brady at this point in his career. So Gilmore then.
Dolphins: Devante Parker I guess.
Bills: This is an interesting one. Would you protect a shutdown corner in White or your QB if he's not a top-10 guy? I'm going White.
Jets: Jamal Adams



Rams: Aaron Donald
49ers: Nick Bosa, though they have a bunch of talent
Seahawks: Wilson
Cardinals: Murray

Saints: Michael Thomas. Love Brees but he's 41.
Bucs: Mike Evans is only 26. Feels like he's been around forever.
Falcons: Julio is 31 but he's still the best choice I think.
Panthers: McCaffrey

Bears: Mack
Lions: I swear this whole thing wasn't a setup just to make this comment...but it has to be Darius Slay, right?
Packers: Rodgers is 36. Adams is 27, Jones is 25. But Rodgers is still harder to replace.
Vikings: Since you have Thielen and Diggs, I'd protect Cook.

Cowboys: Dak
Eagles: Wentz
Giants: Barkley
Wash: Terry McLaurin I guess.

- - -

Since this is a passing-driven league, let's see how many QBs I picked.

4 AFC QBs. The three Pro Bowl QBs this year plus Joe Burrow.
5 NFC QBs. Wilson and Rodgers who have won rings. Dak, Wentz and Murray as the up and comers.

Since QB matters so much, I think you're feeling pretty good if you're a fan of one of those teams. Though too soon to feel great if you're an Arizona fan.

- - -

That exercise was the main point of this...but let's go back to the original question. What would your expansion team look like if you could draft from the entire NFL except for those 32 players protected above?

QB: Slim pickings. Either Tannehill, Cousins, Ryan, Garoppolo, Stafford or 41-year-old Brees. I guess Tannehill based on 2019 but I don't feel great about it
RB: Chubb and Zeke
TE: Kelce and Kittle
WR: Hill, Adams, Godwin, Hopkins.
O-Line: Schwartz, Tunsil, Martin

D-Line: Ingram, Jones, Jordan
LB: Barrett, Leonard, Judon, Jones, Wagner
Secondary: Lattimore, Mathieu, Ramsay, Fitzpatrick

You can essentially draft Pro Bowl rosters with the exception of QB. Brees made the Pro Bowl this year and Cousins was an injury replacement, but neither one is a long-term solution you feel great about.

No comments:

Post a Comment