Sunday, June 20, 2021

Daily Favorites: Biscuits & Gravy



I love biscuits and gravy. They replaced french toast as my go-to breakfast restaurant order some time ago. But healthy and biscuits & gravy have never really gone together. 

At one point, this were on my cheat meal list. Then I thought maybe I could just have biscuit and gravy (just have one). And then I found Trader Joe's Maple Chicken Breakfast Sausage, starting doing some math and figured I could make this work. 

- - -

2 Trader Joe's buttermilk biscuits (from canister) = 340 cals
2 maple chicken sausage links = 90 cals
1/2 cup almond milk = 15 cals
15g flour = 55 cals
worcestershire sauce, salt, lots of pepper

500 calorie biscuits and gravy!

- - -

The whole time I was worried that I added too much almond milk and it wasn't going to thicken. I had measured out 30 grams of flour and was adding them in a spoon at a time. And then all of a sudden, it got really thick. And then it didn't quite cover the biscuits although it was close and good enough.

So next time I would try 3/4 cup of almond milk, and maybe 17grams of flour. 

- - -

This is more calories than I eat for breakfast, but that's no big deal. Just slide this in as a weekend brunch/lunch/late breakfast and it will be all good.

The more of my favorite meals that I can eat healthy versions of, the better off I'm going to be in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment