Sunday, June 13, 2021

Daily Favorites: Italian Flag Pasta Salad



This was the first Daily Favorites dish that I created by accident. 

On Friday night, I was experimenting, trying to create a healthy mac and cheese. At one point, the cheese sauce I was making broke completely, so I took the three ounces of cooked pasta that I had and stashed it in the fridge. 

Today, I figured I could use to make a quick pasta salad, adapting my existing recipe:


I happened to have a red pepper, white onion and pickles in my fridge so I started chopping everything up. I looked down and realized I had unintentionally created the Italian flag on my cutting board. 




Once I saw that, I was like okay, this is now a Daily Favorites recipe. 

84g (3 ounces) of dry pasta, cooked and cooled
chopped pickles, white onion and red pepper

The dressing I whipped up: light sour cream, nonfat greek yogurt, pickle juice, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano. 

It is better with cheddar cubes, but you can't argue with the calories. 300 calories from the pasta, and probably 50-75 for the dressing and vegetables combined. The portion felt like dinner. I could make 1.5-2 ounces of pasta for a side dish to pair with brats, burger or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment