Tuesday, September 07, 2021

disc golf 9.7.21

This was my best round of the year. Yes, I played better than when I beat Mark 18-0. My drives were flying. My approaches were solid. My putts were mostly solid.  

Three things were different about today's round.
1. I brought a bag and a towel.
2. It was in the late afternoon.
3. I was walking with urgency as my youngest was at soccer practice.



On hole three, my drive was good but I still left me with an approach shot, not a putt. I was in this situation two days ago, went for it, missed, and had to make a long putt to save par. So this time, I said I'm not going for the basket. I pulled out my approach disc and just try to drop it in the dirt. Except it went in the basket for a legit birdie. 


I was standing behind the blue disc to make this shot.

I was on fire. No one in front of me, I played through 6 holes in 12 minutes and was -1. 

On 7, I had to play through a group and I always tense up and make me worst shots when someone is watching. It's one of the tougher drives into the woods and I sure enough hit the trees.

At any rate, I finished the front nine exactly even which is a neat accomplishment. 

11 is a tricky hole where I got a 5 last time. My drive went into the trees. I did my best to get it out, then approach, then make the putt to claim a bogey. 

I knew the only real chance to make a birdie would be on 13 where I've decided it's actually a par 4 due to it's length. I hit a great drive. And then on my second shot, full send hammer throw so it would fade to the right as the basket is against a line of trees on the right. The second shot was amazing and gave me an easy putt. I still think this should be a par 4 as it required one good drive and an incredible approach. To me that's a birdie effort, not what should be expected. 

So now I was back to even for the round. The dream of an even round is alive. 

But it was short lived. My putt on 14 hit the chains but bounced out. 

With no more birdie-able holes left, I just tried to play solid to finish. On 16, my approach shot was from a ways out. I wasn't trying to make this shot either, but it hit the top of the basket. Didn't go in, but a good shot. 

On 18, I needed the disc to fade to the right to get around a tree that's protecting the basket. I opted for a hammer throw as it's been very reliable and fades to the right. Only problem was this time I was too close for a full send. So I gave it 75% power. The distance was spot on...but turns out when I don't give it the juice it doesn't fade to the right. The distance and line were perfect, but it just curled left at the end and I was left with a 35 foot approach instead of a 10 foot putt. That left a sour taste in my mouth, but still overall a very good round. 

Playing at the end of the day, my shots went farther. I think I was much looser than my usual morning rounds. Also, it was nice that it was dry as every other time it's been very wet early in the morning. I finished 18 holes in 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment