Sunday, March 06, 2022

Daily Favorites: Buffalo Pulled Pork




A simple formula to creating new delicious healthy meals: combine two established healthy ingredients into a new dish. In this case, the Trader Joe's carnitas which I've used to make traditional barbecue pulled pork before, with my zero-calorie buffalo sauce (Frank's Red Hot Wings.)

I measured out 100 grams of carnitas (235 cals) microwaved and shredded. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and some garlic+. Then covered with the buffalo sauce. 

Meanwhile I've got a bun (150 cals) toasting on my electric griddle. 

I tried two different creamy sauces to finish the sandwich. The first was a quick combination of greek yogurt, onion and herb seasoning and ranch powder. Delicious for sure. But the winner was the Bolthouse Farms Chunky Blue Cheese dressing. It's also yogurt-based so its only 35 calories per serving. 

So we're looking at 400 calories for an entire filling sandwich that would fit on any bar menu. 

I was a little afraid that the buffalo sauce that's so good on chicken somehow wouldn't mesh with the pulled pork. But it worked great. 

When I how consider how delicious the buffalo sauce is and that it's zero calories, it makes it easy to look for new meals to create with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment