Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Best Sporting Events I've Been To

Monday's hockey game prompted me to make a list of the best sporting events I've been to. The easiest way for my brain to organize this is to sort by my favorite teams.

Kansas City Chiefs
Chiefs 31, Cardinals 13 -- 11.21.10 (espn, HC 1, HC 2)
This was a great win that lead to the playoffs. Bowe was awesome. A beautiful day and part of a great barbecue birthday weekend.

Chargers 34, Chiefs 31 -- 11.28.04 (espn, HC)
I know this was a loss, but it was a closer, more exciting game. Dante fumbled in the clear and then made up for with another return TD. This was the first game with the girlfriend that would one day be Mrs. Hoagie Central.

Chiefs 24, Eagles 17 -- 10.11.92 (pfr, HC)
This was only my second game and I was in the first row banging on the metal sign behind the endzone band. Twenty years ago!

Illinois Basketball
National Championship: North Carolina 75, Illinois 70 -- 4.4.05 (espn)
Yes this is another loss on my list of best sporting events. But it was awesome, so, so so close. And it was the National Championship. And we had 5 good friends crammed into 4 seats.

Confession: I didn't really go to many other basketball games in person. I remember watching the Wake game on Bash Court, the Wisconsin game at Legends, and of course the Arizona game with Mark on Bash again.

Illinois Football
I went to the 2001 Sugar Bowl and the 2007 Rose Bowl, but both of those were close enough to be that much fun. Glad I went to both, but still.

And I didn't realize it until just now, but the list of good Illini games that I've been to is pretty sad. The year that I had I-Block tickets, Illinois went 1-11. The only victory was against Illinois State. And we still celebrated with Brandon Lloyd and Burnsy stole his towel.

Illinois 35, Indiana 14 -- 10.13.01 (usa today)
This was Dad's Day and my dad and I saw Illinois kick ass with Kurt Kittner from the horseshoe.

Ohio State 23, Illinois 16 (OT) -- 11.16.02 (wiki, yt)
My dad and I went to this one too. Ohio State was #2 and would go on to win the national championship. Beutjer drove down the field in the final minute and Illinois kicked a 48-yarder to send it to overtime. My dad and I were chanting OVERRATED. In overtime, down 7, Illinois receiver caught two passes but were ruled out of bounds. The one on 2nd down was clearly out. The one on 3rd down was questionable. I remember leaving the stadium chanting BULLSHIT. And then a beer fell on my head. Still the second best game I'd been to in person.

Minnesota 38, Illinois 34 -- 11.13.10 (espn, yt)
The football itself was depressing, how Illinois let a shitty team come back and beat them in the final minutes. But it was fun to be back on campus with everyone.

God, this list is depressing.

Chicago
I went to two Blackhawks games, two White Sox games, and a Cubs game. I wasn't invested in any of them.

Colorado Avalanche
Avs 3, Ducks 2 (OT) -- 3.12.12 (espn, HC)
Given the sad state of this list, this one easily makes the cut. Great seats, goals right in front of me, my first Avs win in person, and in overtime by the possible rookie of the year.

And that's the list.

But I can't stop here...

- - -

Best Games I've Ever Seen


Illinois Basketball
Illinois 90, Arizona 89 (OT) -- 3.26.05 (cbs, wiki)
CBS named it the #3 March Madness game of the decade. All I know is me and Mark in Bash Court. Despair and then screaming and jumping.

Illinois Football
Illinois 28, Ohio State 21 -- 11.10.07 (espn, HC)
We took down the #1 team in the country on their turf. They still got to go to the title game. Assholes.

Kansas City Chiefs
Chiefs 27, Raiders 23 -- 11.6.05 (45 minute hulu, 2 minute yt, HC, pfr)
Great game. But it comes down to the final 4 seconds. Chiefs have the ball but no more timeouts. Kick a field goal to go to overtime or go for the win? Nope. Larry Johnson, 20-blast. Touchdown.

Chiefs 21, Chargers 14 --  9.13.10 (nfl, HC)
I watched this game at Burnsy's. Season opener on MNF, introducing New Arrowhead, and the Chiefs take down the division champs. The start of a nice run to the playoffs.

Chiefs 40, Packers 34 (OT) -- 10.12.03 (pfr, 45 minute hulu)
This was probably the best game from the best Chiefs season I can remember. KC started 9-0 and finished 13-3.

There. I feel better now.

Sure there are other great sporting events that I've seen live that didn't involve my favorite teams. Bills-Oilers. Reggie Miller against the Knicks. The last 5 Super Bowls have all been great. Countless March Madness moments, including Kansas-Memphis and UCLA-Gonzaga. But anyone can make a list of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment