Wednesday, April 08, 2009

i'm one of these blurs

The day was Sunday, October 11, 1992. I was 8 years old. I was attending my 2nd Chiefs game. (My first was November 4, 1990, a 9-7 victory over the L.A. Raiders when I was 6. We were in the upper deck.)

My mom, a nurse, volunteered to take a group of diabetic kids to see the Chiefs host the Eagles. The only reason she did was so that she could get a ticket for me too. (I'm not actually sure what illnesses they had, I just remember someone testing their blood sugar inside Arrowhead).

Anyways, the result was we had front row endzone seats. The reason I remember this so vividly, is that at one endzone there was a band (the only live band at NFL games) called the TD Pack Band. Our seats were right behind the band and I remember that I was trying to make noise and I started banging my hands on the metal sign (pictured below). The band told me to cut it out. I was just an 8-year old trying to make noise and go nuts at a Chiefs game. Whatever.

Last night I discovered this amazing library of Chiefs games online. They didn't have the '90 Raiders game but they did have the Eagles game. So I went through and tried to find any shots where they show the endzone with the band. I can't quite make out which one I am. (Apparently, there was something before HighDef called SuperTerribleDef.)


But this picture was taken after the Eagles kicked a field goal. So I don't think I'm the kid in the right circle. In the left circle, there appears to be a kid in a white t-shirt with his face in his hands, pouting. I'm guessing that's me.

That's the best shot I could get as the shadows make it hard to see anything.


The Chiefs won 24-17, making them 2-0 in games I attended. Who knows how crucial that was in embedding fandom?

This game featured Randall Cunningham, Reggie White, Hershel Walker, Mike Golic, Christian Okoye, and the Chiefs QB: Dave Krieg. At the time, I remember thinking it was a big deal to see Randall Cunningham.

1 comment:

  1. that is super cute. i think you're the left circle.

    ReplyDelete