Thursday, April 16, 2009

Football

I grew up playing soccer. I was decent enough when the teams were arranged by grades. But then around 8 or so, they changed the rules so teams were divided by age. Since I was always young for my grade, I was used to playing with bigger, older boys. Once I was playing against boys my age, suddenly I was the bigger, faster kid and I had a good season that year.

In 1994, I knew enough about the World Cup that I knew who Roberto Baggio was and that it was a big deal that his missed the last penalty, giving the Cup to Brazil.

But it was really the summer of 1998 that introduced me to top flight soccer. It was in France and it worked out great because the games were on in the morning. I would wake up and have nothing to do and could settle into a nice Netherlands-Mexico match. I appreciated the intensity, national pride, and the game for what it is.

Once it was over though, there really wasn't anything on TV or anyway for me to continue with soccer.

By 2002, I was home from my first year of college and was working a summer job and relaxing. Unfortunately, the Cup was played in South Korea that year, and this was pre-Tivo. So if I wanted to watch games I had to watch from 2-4 or 4-6 in the morning. I think I caught one U.S. game at 2 a.m. but it just didn't work out.

And then 2006 came around. The games were back on in the morning-midday and we were able to watch some over an extended lunch break. I remember watching the Czech Republic wax the U.S. The U.S had a chance to advance to the knockout stage by beating Ghana but couldn't do so. I also remember being in a bar on the weekend watching Argentina beat Mexico, which was relevant because there were a bunch of Mexico fans there as well. The final was a classic featuring the Zidane head-butt and again penalties to decide it all.

So in 2007, armed with the power of the internet and digital cable with a dedicated soccer channel, I learned about the Premiership and UEFA Champions League. I wrote about it here on 2.20.07. As you can see in that link, I was already partial to Arsenal.

I remembered Bill Simmons journey to picking a Premiership team in the summer of 06, and how we never heard from the Spurs from him again.

Here's how I came to like Arsenal best in the EPL:
  • They were a top-tier team that will usually be in the Champions League, but weren't the "Yankees" of the league: that would be Man U or Chelsea.
  • They are from London. A benefit in terms of representation and in the case of actually visiting or something.
  • They wear red. As Tiger Woods, the BBC, and the KC Chiefs know, red is a power color. Also it has the history of being the working man's color compared to the blue blooded Chelsea. Combined with the fact that Chelsea is the other top team in London, wears blue, and us run by a Russian mobster, Chelsea is a natural rival.
  • The team is nicknamed the Gunners, the fans the Gooners, and they play a fast paced game.
So they're my favorite English team. As for Italy, I always disliked Milan. I actually preferred the city of Florence to Roma, but when I was there I fell in love with the colors of Roma. Plus, they were actually in Champions League, so I bought a 10euro Roma jersey and adopted them as my Italian team. (I also bought a cheap replica Arsenal jersey in London on the same trip).

Ironically enough, our last night in Italy featured a Champions League match between Roma and Arsenal. It wasn't on our tv in Venice, but Arsenal won on penalties, so at least it was as close as could be.

Yesterday I DVR'd the second leg of the Arsenal-Villareal quarterfinal matchup. The first leg in Spain was a 1-1 draw. Interestingly, the tiebreaker of the aggregate score is away goals, which makes for some strategic choices. For example, since Arsenal scored 1 away goal in the first leg, a 0-0 draw at home would put them through, but a 2-2 draw would send them packing.

It was relevant because at 0-0, Villareal knew they were behind and had to score. And yet after Arsenal scored first, Villareal still only needed 1 goal to tie the aggregate.

Anyways, the first goal of the night was perhaps the prettiest goal I've ever seen:



The second goal was pretty as well, as Adebayor only used the outside of his foot. Arsenal advances to play Man U in the semifinals. Chelsea and Barcelona round out the bracket.

I don't really care about the Spanish La Liga, but if I had to pick one, I like Barcelona because of the city, the colors, their Unicef deal, and they used to have Ronaldinho.

So if I had my way, I'd of course have Arsenal avenge their 2006 Champions League Final loss to Barcelona, and send both Man U and Chelsea home in the semis.

Speaking of pretty goals, here's Arsenal's only goal in the first leg against Villareal:



So I'm all in on the Champions League, and in 2008 enjoyed the Euro Cup as a treat in between World Cups. I haven't yet gotten fully immersed into the EPL as a season-long activity, mostly because it's hard to follow all the games.

But I think that's enough: every two years there's a good international tournament, and every year there's a tournament for the best clubs in Europe. Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment