Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chiefs 2009 Draft

I wouldn't be much of a Chiefs blogger if I didn't take the time to record my thoughts on the Chiefs 2009 Draft. If you go back and last year's draft post, it feels like it was written a century ago. I was still high on Croyle. Not even Thigpen, but Croyle.

Fast forward to 2009 and this is the first draft of the Pioli (aka Pioli-Haley) Era. We have Dorsey from last year and have Aaron Curry on the board. These are the best players available in the draft (according to Kiper) and they could be part of our front seven. But Pioli wants a 3-4. So we don't take Curry. And apparently Dorsey is a good DT on a 4-3 but can't play NT or DE on a 3-4.

Round 1: 3rd overall
Tyson Jackson - DE


So we pass on Curry and take a DE. D-Line 1/3 solved! I had this feeling that we weren't going to draft Curry if he wouldn't fit in our system. I'm not convinced this is a great pick but I have to trust that Pioli knows what he's doing.

Round 2 (traded to NE for Cassel & Vrabel)

When you look at it this way, the trade looks even better. I'd rather have Cassel or Cutler than Stafford and Sanchez. And the Chiefs got their QB in the second round and will pay a lot, but not #1 money.

Round 3: 67th overall
Alex Magee - DT/DE

This pick is a head scratcher. At least from my naive, rudimentary analysis that you want 3 solid d-line starters in a 3-4. But I'm starting to come around to that's not how it works. Jackson might be one DE. But they might be rotating Dorsey, Magee, Tyler and any of our other scrubs at the other 2 D-Line spots. It's starting to seem like Dorsey doesn't have a place here and that he could be traded. I can't help but remember that he was the best player in 2008! If they can't get him to work something's screwed up.

My gut says this pick doesn't pan out.

Round 4: 102th overall
Donald Washington - CB

Another pick I don't like. Our secondary's not terrible and it's not like this guy was the far and away best prospect. We could have used a LB, O-LINE, or WR. We actually got two good cornerbacks in last year's draft. I suppose a 3rd good one doesn't hurt, but it just seems strange.

Round 5: 139th overall
Colin Brown - OL

We could use an upgrade at RT, but is this it? Can he beat out McIntosh and become a starter? Last year we drafted Barry Richardson for RT at 170th overall, he didn't see any action and now we're drafting Brown. Is this a repeat and a wasted pick? Feels like it.

Round 6: 175th overall
Quinten Lawrence - WR

Ah, a 6-foot receiver from a small school. Sounds like he might be our return man since they cut last year's 182nd pick Kevin Robinson. I got excited last year for Robinson because I assumed if they drafted a kick returner he would be able to return kicks. Well a year later Robinson's not on the team and Lawrence is drafted. Feels like another wasted pick.

Round 7: 212th overall
Javarris Williams - RB

Huh? I know it's seventh round, but still. Whatever.

Round 7: 237th overall
Jake O'Connell - TE

We get rid of Tony Gonzalez and we get Jake O'Connell. I would say "good luck even making the team" but Pioli traded into this slot to get him, so he must have really wanted him.

Round 7: 256th overall
Mr. Irrelevant - K

Succop won't make the team, but I suppose a little kicking competition for Barth isn't bad. Last year we cut Barth before the season and then added him later. So kickers come and go. Maybe he's the next Vinatieri.

SUMMARY

I feel like Tyson Jackson should be a solid DE for a long time, but I'm not sure how Dorsey fits into the mix. None of the rest of the picks are filling me with confidence. But hey I don't know anything.

LAST YEAR'S ANALYSIS

I didn't make too many predictions last year. Mostly I said I hope they pan out and I wanted Early Doucet.

I was critical of Charles but now I like the pick. For some reason I said I really liked the pick of Brandon Carr - CB in the 5th round. He turned about to be surprisingly good. Not sure why I liked it but it worked out.

I also thought Kevin Robinson would be the last time we thought about a kick returner for 5 years, so again, I don't know anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment