Tuesday, April 28, 2009

09 Draft: What ifs

This is a time capsule post. It was interesting to look at last year's picks and see who was taken around who. I mentioned interests in John David Booty, Brian Brohm, and Andre Woodson and so far the NFL hasn't heard their names. But we'll see.

So here's who the Chiefs could have picked, and what I would have done, for posterity.

Round 1: Tyson Jackson - DE
What If: Aaron Curry, Andre Smith, B.J. Raji, Brian Orakpro, Michael Crabtree
Me as GM: I probably would have gone Curry but I don't fault the Chiefs for picking a player that fits better.

Round 2: (no pick, but could have traded up)
What If: James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga
Me as GM: I wouldn't have traded up, but I would have jumped at either one if the Chiefs had a 2nd round pick. Still prefer Cassel/Vrabel to one of these guys though.

Round 3: Alex Magee - DT
What If: Jarron Gilbert, Deon Butler, Juaquin Iglesias
Me as GM: I like the report on Gilbert better than Magee. But after looking at the talent or lack there of in round 3, perhaps it would have been better to move up to the 2nd round to get a LB.

Okay so I just looked at the rest of players in the draft and I don't know any thing about any of them. So I guess I would have tried to get Curry and Maualuga and been done with it. The only future comparisons will be Curry vs Jackson and Magee vs Gilbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment