Friday, April 24, 2009

it's never too early

Inspired by the Draft, I've already started setting up a Fantasy Football league for 2009. Yes, I know it's April. But maybe we should hold our drafts earlier if I want to get my players into training camp!

I tried an ESPN league a long time ago but didn't like their scoring setup. 4 points for passing tds, negative points for defenses, etc. But now they have free custom leagues where you can control everything.

So here's the settings I'm planning on. Let me know what you think.

I started with the assumption that we will get people to fill this out without using strangers, so I went 10 teams instead of 12 to make that easier. I've got 9 roster spots (1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 flex rb/wr, te, k, dst) I've got 7 bench spots plus an IR spot, so that's 16 rounds of drafting.

With 10 teams, it seems the fairest is to have 2 5-team divisions. Division winners get in playoffs plus 2 wild-card spots. So 4 teams out of 10 make playoffs.

The regular season will last 13 weeks. You play your four division rivals twice, and the five teams in the other division once. Wild card playoffs in week 14, and Super Bowl in week 15.

Even though it finishes earlier, I like that week 16-17 irregularities for playoff teams won't come into play.

(Also, in the playoffs, I've set the matchup tiebreaker to be "home team wins", to provide a minimal Home Field Advantage.)

As for scoring, here are the settings I've created. Some new highlights:
  • half point per reception (making the flex position and TE position more interesting)
  • bonuses for long touchdowns and milestone days (making studs more valuable)
  • forty yard field goals are worth 4
  • defensive points are weighted (making studly dst's more valuable)

The only question left is do we want to do a live draft, or a live auction? (rules for auction)

The auction has me intrigued but I also don't want to overwhelm people with a new system. Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. i'm down for this. a 10 man league where we know everybody would be good. i know a guy here who might be interested, if necessary.

    as for the scoring, i don't know about a large bonus for long TDs. i mean, you're already getting a lot of points for the yards, TD, and then probably for going over 100 or 200 yards. you know what i mean? i like the field goal and defensive points. 1/2 PPC is good, too.

    i think i'd prefer the traditional snake draft to an auction. we already put more research into this than the other people we know, so i think an auction might tilt the playing field more towards us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose the real question is--would you want to be in the same division as me? Although I like the idea of us playing twice, I think I'd prefer to represent the West Division, place you in the East, and see if we can meet in the Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Mark on not having the extra bonus for long TDs. Everything else sounds really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but dave, after i win my division, you can take a wild card from the same division, win the 2 vs. 3 match-up, and then we'd still meet in the super bowl. i'll admit, i'll have a hard time beating you in the super bowl. the history of teams winning that third game, after defeating the team twice already isn't so good.

    ReplyDelete