Friday, October 27, 2023

Sports Fandom: Chicken or the Egg?

I really don't care about the baseball playoffs or the NBA season.

Two years ago, I proclaimed that I was becoming a Bulls fan. That really didn't take. 

I had sorta wondered about the whole chicken and egg thing with following a sport and having a team. What I mean is this: Which of these is true:

a) I don't like baseball because I don't have a team to follow
b) I don't have a baseball team to follow because I don't like the sport

Well, the Chicago Bulls thing was basically an experiment. And now I have the answer. It's b. It's always b. 

There are sports I don't like watching/following like baseball and the NBA. So identifying as a fan is not going to work. 

In 2011, I moved to Colorado. I wasn't a fan of any NBA, MLB or NHL team at the time. I became an Avalanche fan because I like hockey. The Rockies and Nuggets never did anything for me. 

It also explains why I care about Illinois basketball and football but not Illinois tennis or golf, even though we're much better at golf than football. 

- - -

So what sports do I like?

Football
Easily my favorite sport. Fantasy and gambling add to the fun.

Hockey 
Especially playoff hockey. Great live too.

College Basketball 
Specifically March Madness.

College Football
I find that the uneven scheduling makes for most games to be not that close. 

World Cup Soccer
The international format and rarity makes this a big deal. 


Is that it?

Growing up I would watch anything. Professional indoor lacrosse, professional indoor soccer, roller hockey. Handball and water polo at the olympics. But now it doesn't seem like that much. 

MLB, NBA, MLS do nothing for me. I do like watching Rugby but it's hard to do from the states. One day if I lived in Europe, I could see getting into the soccer leagues, but I don't need that much soccer in my life right now. I still like Arsenal, Barcelona and Roma but I'm not following their progress. (It would be fun to attend a game in London or Barcelona or Rome one day though.) Or one day it would be fun to attend a rugby game in person. 

Okay, so this is weird and random. I just looked up rugby tournaments and turns out the big one is called the Rugby World Cup, held every four years, and the final just happens to be tomorrow.


Maybe I can catch the All Blacks doing the Haka and see if they can beat the Springboks?

1 comment:

  1. I used to like watching any championship game/series. Sunday golf major, Wimbledon final. Now I don't have time. Childhood was great.

    ReplyDelete