Wednesday, August 08, 2007

food hamper dump

I've been craving homemade guacamole for a while, and Sunday I decided to go and buy everything for a guac party:

2 avocados
1 lime
head of garlic
onion
cilantro

chips
sour cream

I was excited. Unfortunately, the avocados I purchased with "ripe" stickers on were not in fact ripe. It was an avocado disaster and a big waste of time and money. And it's not that I want my money back, it's that I want the guac.

Anyways, since I had the onion and sour cream, I decided to make the best of it last night and made a Mexican Burger:

I spread the sour cream on my whole-wheat bread, and topped the burger with slivers of onion, chipotle tabasco, and a squeeze of fresh lime. I would have used salsa if I hadn't run out on monday, putting the chips to good use. But the burger was delicious with just the chipotle, lime, onion and sour cream combination. In fact, I might make another tonight.

(Weird burger topping sidenote: In Grand Cayman I had a BBQ bacon cheeseburger with a slice of grilled pineapple--I'm not a big fan of pineapple in general, but it was delicious with the cheese and the meat and the bacon and the barbecue sauce. )

But you know what would be really good on a Mexican burger? Guacamole.

2 comments:

  1. dude you've got me craving guac now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is nothing that beats fresh homemade guac, though it's usually a pain in the ass dealing with avacados. They're never ripe when you want them to be, and then once they finally are you've only got a 2 or 3-day window to use them.

    I've found those new refrigerated pouches to be an acceptable substitute when I want to make guac the same day I get ingredients. It's definitely not the same, but it's better than the completely processed stuff that just doesn't look right. Plus you can freeze the pouches until you decide you want some.

    By the way, you can make them ripen quicker by storing them in a paper bag, and I've actually heard that adding a banana or apple to the bag makes it even quicker. And of course once they're ripe you can slow down their time to spoiling by sticking them in the fridge.

    Now I'm getting some avacados after work today. We're making burgers tonight and even sliced avacado is delicious on a burger :)

    ReplyDelete