Friday, August 31, 2007

Softball 2007: Playoffs Round One

We knew going into the game that everything was against us...

Watch this to see what happened:



That's right...we took down the two-time Defending Champions. No 3-peat on our watch.



We were losing from the 1st inning until the top of the 6th, and we needed those insurance runs in the top of the 7th, too.


Batting Stats for Playoffs-Game One:
1st AB: 1B
2nd AB: line out
3rd AB: 2B, run
4th AB: 3B, rbi, run
5th AB: 1B, rbi

Average: 0.800
Slugging: 1.400


Pitching Stats for Playoffs-Game One:
7 IP
10 runs
0 K
0 BB

ERA: 10.00 and the win


In the top of the 6th, with two outs and us trailing by one, I stepped to the plate with a runner on first. And I cracked a line drive down the first base line and didn't stop running until I got to third. I drove in the tying run, and on the next play, crossed home plate giving us the lead.

It was my first triple on the season (I did have one home run and at least one triple last year)

It was a great game. It's the only time I can think of where we were trailing most of the way and came back. And it was still tense in the last inning, but we pulled it off.

I pitched great. I mean, they had some big hits off me, but I was painting the corners, and as the game went on, was really trying to not give them anything to hit. The last time we played, when I wasn't pitching, we gave up 25 runs.

Batting Stats on the Season:
17/30: 12 singles, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 10 runs scored, 4 walks, 6 rbi, 1 strike out.
Average: .566
Slugging: .766
OBP: .618

Pitching Stats on the Season:
58 innings pitched
72 runs
10 K
2 BB

ERA: 8.69
Record: 6-4

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Wingman. I'm curious, though, looking at your pitching stats. I know you're not keeping track of unearned runs, but how many do you think there are?

    On the flip side, how many times have you counted a single for yourself when you reached on an error?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the runs allowed are unearned. There are all kinds of errors made in the field of play--so much so, that I'm not sure that a groundball to the SS that it subsequently overthrown or not in time to first, should be an error, because it's a difficult play that isn't made all that often in 16".

    On the flip side, I don't take credit for fielder's choices. My hits are usually not a result of errors because of my hitting style--I don't hit many fly balls that can be dropped. So I've maybe only counted a couple singles all year that were really errors.

    ReplyDelete