Thursday, August 16, 2007

suck it, beckham haters

So of course, Beckham's goal and assist were top stories on Sportscenter, Deadspin, and Fanhouse, as well it should be. But I was there. Okay, not in the stadium, but I was there watching the game from the beginning. I was there to watch his previous 21 MLS minutes, and was surprised that he was actually going to start.

I was watching when he got the first card of the game in the 18th minute, and when he lined up to take the first close range free kick in America, I got Mrs. Hoagie Central's attention, and said "watch this, free kicks are his specialty."

And she did. There we were, watching the ball dip and curve and see the goalie didn't even have an attempt to save it. I was shocked. His first direct kick? It's that easy for him?

And yes, the announcers were spanish. GOL! GOL! GOL! GOL! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Of course his assist in the second half is going to be how he really makes the team better. Good stuff.

1 comment: