Wednesday, August 15, 2007

my madden holiday didn't exactly go as planned

My blockbuster opens at 10. I had been planning for weeks to show up at 10:30 to rent it, with my free monthly coupon from using blockbuster online.

Well, I got caught up in meetings and didn't get there until 11:30. I was nervously walking over there, wondering if they had all been sold out already. I mean, it's been out for an hour and half already!

So I walk in, and they don't have it even on the shelf. For any platform. Boo. So I walk back dejectedly and have to wonder all day whether I'll be able to get it. I would have liked to leave at 5 and see if they've stocked it by then.

Unfortuantely, work threw me a curve ball. I stayed until after 8 pm finishing up some projects. I was tired, hungry and desperately in the mood for this hyped-up game. I went into Blockbuster on my way home, and what did I see? Would they have been all sold out, it is 8:30 by now...

They had 5 ps2 display boxes, and not a single one was checked out. I waited in line, and then before I left the store, I checked to make sure it was 08, and for ps2, and when I saw it for the first time, I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear.

So after playing it for a few hours last night, how does it stack up? Um, not as exciting as I had hoped.

First the background: I bought Madden 06 and rented 07 last year. The only new feature last year was lead blocking (which was cool but not enough to buy the game again) and updates to the superstar mode.

So it's been 2 years since I've really played this game. And it feels exactly the same. Menus, fonts, playbooks, virtually everything is what I've had for the past two years. And the Chiefs roster isn't even right--Trent Green was still in red and gold. (I understand he wasn't traded THAT long ago, but still.)

Their most hyped new feature is player weapons. This is a joke. So they've labeled Peyton a star and Hester fast. The best players we're already the best players--I've yet to see how these weapon icons mean anything beyond the players rating (I mean if JaMarcus Russel has a 99 pass strength rating, shouldn't I already know he has a Cannon Arm--does that icon make him throw it harder?)

The new skill drills are neat, except for I beat the running drill on the first try without even knowing what I was doing. But the defense and pre-snap drills have a level of difficulty on the other extreme. The passing drill is the only drill set to a fair difficulty.

That's about it.

The playbook is frustratingly unchanged. At least move the plays around so it feels like I'm looking at something new.

And the announcing...ugh. Contrary to reports I've read (which must have been about next-gen) Al Michaels and Madden still do the commentary. And by still do, I mean they have the same sound clips they had TWO years ago. It's not a good sign, when the first time I put in 08, I am talking word for word along with Al Michaels. If they can't record new lines every year, then get different people.

Basically the only great new thing is the new players. I created Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe (etc.) for my 06 game, but now they have faces. That's cool.

I might have a more positive view later on, as tonight begins the Brodie Croyle years on a Chiefs franchise, but so far, I haven't seen anything that's compelling me to buy 08. I mean 07 at least changed the gameplay by adding lead blocking, so far I haven't seen anything that changes the actual game. Besides adding more and more annoying product placement.

Now I've got to go eat a Snickers and make calls on a Sprint phone.

3 comments:

  1. bummer. oh well. at least you're smart enough not to spend $60 (or whatever a new game costs these days) for updated rosters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the IGN review, I became convinced that the 08 version for the Wii is probably not worthwhile either...they've added some multiplayer modes and online play as well as better controls, but it sounds like it's all coming at the expense of new/old glitches all over the place. And supposedly the internet play lags a lot.

    I think I'm just going to use the fact that 08 came out to get re-excited about the 07 I have already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, for a while I've subscribed to the update a sports game every 2 years philosophy.

    But it's easy enough to create the new rookies and update the rosters yourself, that it's better to go with the game you're already used to.

    ReplyDelete