Monday, December 21, 2009

Hypothetical Bowl Conclusions

As previously noted, getting the 4th playoff seed came down to tiebreakers. If I had gotten it, I would have beaten Mac in the first round and faced Mark in the Super Bowl. So hypothetically, what would have happened?

Week 15
Mark 138
Dave 111.5

Figures. So historically:

Construda Super Bowl I, 2007: lost in Super Bowl
Construda Super Bowl II, 2008: missed playoffs by 1 game, would have lost in Super Bowl
BS Super Bowl I, 2009: missed playoffs by tiebreaker, would have lost in Super Bowl

Conversely, for Mark:

Construda Super Bowl I, 2007: won Super Bowl
Construda Super Bowl II, 2008: dominated season, lost in playoffs
BS Super Bowl I, 2009: won Super Bowl

All three years that we've been doing a draft league, Mark has just dominated. And he would have three titles to show for it, if not for one abnormal week in 08.

- - -

But what about the subplot that no one's talking about?

All Niraj had to do was to lose one more game (he could have rested his starters in week 13), or have mark win more one game, even if I had forgotten to set my lineup in week 13 that would have been a mark win...any of those and Niraj is in the super bowl vs Mark. And how would that have turned out?

Week 15
Mark 138
Niraj 144.5

So there you go. This isn't as pipe dreamish as me wishing for another regular season win so that I could get to BS SB I. Burnsy needed another regular season loss. If he had done worse, he would have won it all. Or, if Mark had done better Mark would be a Super Bowl loser. Crazy.

- - -

But because that doesn't help me, I'm taking you deeper.

I may have finished with 111.5 but I left 109 on my bench.

My best lineup would have totaled 175 in week 15. So yes, my best lineup could have beaten Mark's week 15 starters. But what if I give Mark and Burnsy the same luxury?

Week 15 Best Possible Scores
Niraj 185.5
Dave 175
Mark 144

Interesting conclusions: Mark set his week 15 lineup the best. Even though I didn't like benching Rivers, it only cost him 6 and it was the only wrong call. I would have been better off with Flacco, Chambers, Stewart and Bears D. And Burnsy would have improved with Wells, Heap, Sims-Walker and Eagles D. But what's really interesting is that Mark's best possible score was less than Niraj's actual week 15 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment